Poor Man’s Chow Mein
This is a delicious one dish meal that is easy to make even for beginners. My husband called this a delicious stick to your ribs meal that is very filling. Poor Man’s Chow Mein has been around for many years and will feed a large family at a very reasonable cost. Poor Man’s Chow Mein is made with ground beef and rice as its main ingredients with celery and onion for added flavor.
In a large frying pan cook the ground beef,
celery and onion until ground beef has no
more pink and the vegetables are almost
tender. Add the soup and mix to combine.
Remove from the burner and set aside.
Boil the water, add the rice and stir.
Stir in the brown sugar,
pepper and soy sauce.
Spray a 3 quart casserole
dish with cooking spray.
Place the ground beef mixture
into the casserole dish.
Pour the rice mixture on top and stir.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven,
without a lid, for 60 minutes and serve.
Poor Man's Chow Mein
- 1# ground beef
- 1 – 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large stalks of celery, diced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 4 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook the ground beef, onion and celery until the ground beef is no longer pink and the vegetables are almost tender.
- Add the soup and mix well. Remove from the heat.
- Boil the water and stir in the rice, pepper, soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Lightly grease a 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Pour the ground beef mixture into the casserole dish. Pour the water mixture on top and stir.
- Bake uncovered for 60 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- Serve hot.