If you like the taste of lemon you have to try this Lemon Loaf! I got this recipe from Wendy Ness and she stated that this was one of her old time favorites. I can certainly taste why! Not only does the loaf have a lemon flavor in it, but then you make a lemony glaze that gets drizzled over top! This is seriously the best Lemon Loaf I have ever had.
Source: Wendy Ness from the Facebook group Cooking From Scratch on Debbie’s Back Porch.
Spray a bread pan with cooking spray.
Cut waxed paper to fit the bottom and sides of the pan and place in the pan.
Spray the waxed paper with cooking spray after it’s in place.
In a medium bowl cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar together.
Add the eggs and milk.
Mix to combine.
Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until completely mixed in.
Fold in the lemon rind.
Pour batter into the prepared pan.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for 45 – 60 minutes
until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
After it is out of the oven, continue to poke the toothpick
into the Lemon Loaf making multiple small holes.
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and the sugar.
Heat it in the microwave a minute to dissolve the sugar and make the glaze.
Using a spoon, pour the lemon glaze all over the top of the
Lemon Loaf allowing the glaze to go into the toothpick holes.
After you pour all of the glaze over top, let it sit for 10 minutes.
Pull up on the waxed paper removing the Lemon Loaf from the pan.
Set the Lemon Loaf on a cooling rack.
Carefully peel off the waxed paper.
Serve warm or let cool and store in an air tight bag.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- grated rind from one lemon
- Juice from one lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a bread pan (9″x 5″x 3″) with cooking spray.
- Cut waxed paper to fit the bottom and sides of the pan and stick it to the pan.
- Spray the waxed paper, bottom and sides, in the bread pan.
- In a medium bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and milk then mix until combined.
- In a small bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until completely mixed in.
- Fold in the lemon rind and pour the mixture into the prepared bread pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a cooling rack. Using a toothpick, make multiple small holes all over the top of the loaf.
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice and sugar for the glaze. Heat for 1 minute in the microwave or until the sugar is dissolved.
- Using a spoon, pour the glaze all over the top, completely covering the top of the Lemon Loaf and getting the glaze to run into the toothpick holes.
- Let the glazed Lemon Loaf sit for 10 minutes on the cooling rack.
- Grab the waxed paper and lift the Lemon Loaf out of the pan. Place the Lemon Loaf on the cooling rack.
- Carefully peel the waxed paper off of the Lemon Loaf. Leave the Lemon Loaf on the rack to cool.
- Serve warm or cool and store in a sealed bag.