Don’t ever buy store bought Spanish Rice again! This is so easy and cheap to make and it was really delicious! I already had all of the ingredients and there is nothing special you need to buy. It makes about four cups of rice so there is enough for the entire family.
Adapted from http://www.lilluna.com
If you use Better Than Bouillon, add it to
hot tap water and stir until dissolved. If you
use canned chicken broth skip this step.
In a large non stick frying pan, heat the
oil over medium heat and add the rice.
Cook the rice until it starts to turns brown.
Add the chicken broth, salt, garlic,
pepper, cumin and stir.
Add the tomato sauce.
Mix well, bring to a boil and reduce heat
to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20-30
minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Remove from the heat and fluff the rice.
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or your favorite
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt, optional
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 4 tsp Chicken Better Than Bouillon & 4 cups hot water)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- dash of cumin
- If you are using water with the Better Than Bouillon, mix the two together and set aside. If you are using chicken broth, skip this step.
- In a large non stick frying pan, heat the oil until hot over medium heat.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir. Continue to cook until the rice starts to turns brown.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, garlic, pepper, cumin and then stir.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. My liquid was gone in 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve immediately.