Chicken Salt Brine & Orange Sauce
In the last few posts I have posted about brining and marinating so now I will add a light sauce after a salt brine. Brining with a salt brine is my absolute favorite flavor. I wish you could taste the way this whole chicken turned out…amazing! My husband gets all of the credit from brining to cooking (he smoked it) to the orange sauce. This was the moistest and most tender chicken ever! You can cook this anyway you prefer such as the grill, oven, smoker…etc just make sure the thickest part of the chicken is 165 degrees before eating.
Source: Championship BBQ Secrets For Real Smoked Food (Book)
Since my husband made this chicken in it’s entirety I
do not have pictures of all the steps.
The ingredients of the orange sauce will be in the recipe card below.
Boil the water, add the sugar and salt stirring until it is dissolved, let cool.
Put the whole chicken in a large ziploc bag and pour the brine into the bag.
Cook using your preferred method such as bake, grill, smoke…etc
until the thickest part of the chicken is 165 degrees.
Brush on the orange sauce halfway through cooking and every 20 minutes thereafter.
Let the chicken rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator….if there are any!
Chicken Salt Brine & Orange Sauce
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups Kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 pinch black pepper
ORANGE SAUCE DIRECTIONS:
- In a medium bowl mix all of the ingredients. Brush on the whole chicken as per the directions below.
SALT BRINE DIRECTIONS:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, boil the water.
- Add the salt and sugar to the water and stir until dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and let the brine sit until room temperature.
- Place the whole chicken (discard the innards) into a large ziploc bag. Pour the brine into the bag. Squeeze the air out of the bag.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and rinse off the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a pan and cook using your preferred method such as bake, grill, smoke….etc until the thickest part of the chicken is 165 degrees.
- Once the chicken has cooked halfway through, start brushing on the orange sauce every 20 minutes until the chicken is done.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Categories: Chicken, Marinades/Gravy, Sauces
What a beautiful bird!
Yes my husband did a fantastic job! I will tell him what you said and thank you Rosemarie!
Worcestershire… yummy! This is gonna be good! I can’t wait to try it! Thank you for sharing! 🙏
You are very welcome it was amazing!!!
I haven’t tried the whole bird with orange sauce. I brine often and it’s great. We just picked up a smoker, so I guess I was meant to read and try this one!
Awesome! We love the smoker and we smoke a whole bunch of meat at once and freeze it for an easy meal later on.
I have yet to use the smoker, but we just picked it up. It’s not too big; perfect to learn smoking on before I invest in a state-of-the-art one. 🙂
We started with one my husband had to keep running out to maintain the heat. We liked the food so well we invested in an electric one that maintains the heat for us. Enjoy your smoker!!
Have a great weekend! Thanks!
amazingly well done. the glazing looks perfect over the chicken !
Thank you so much!
I don’t think there’ll be ANY leftovers if i made this haha! It certainly is glorious lol!
Oh my! My eyes lit up seeing this! There would be nothing left. So good! 😊💟
Oh believe me, there wasn’t ny left here either..lol
I was just reading a book(Hunger Games) and I saw this exact same dish in it and I was reminded of this!
No way! That is so funny! I have not read the book but loved the movie!
Yes! During a particularly bad time in the arena Katniss thinks of the Capitol and of the dishes there.(this dish was one of them!)
They have good taste….lol
They sure do!
This looks amazing! My sister has a smoker, so I will talk her into making this for us. 😉 Thanks!
Thank you! Lucky you! You won’t be sorry it was so good!