Have you ever brined your meat? Why in the world would you brine your meat? According to Food 52.com brining was used for preserving food back in the days they didn’t have refrigeration. There are two main reasons why you should brine your meat…..flavor and texture. Brining infuses the meat with added flavor and tenderizers the meat, so if you have never tried it before, you should.
Boil the water and stir in all of the other ingredients except the meat.
Let the brine cool to room temperature.
Place the meat into a large ziploc bag and pour the liquid brine into the bag.
Squeeze out all of the air and zip the bag closed.
Place the bag on a deep plate (in case the bag should leak)
and refrigerate it overnight.
Cook your roast by using your favorite method such
as the oven, grill or smoking which is how we made this one.
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- In a large pan over medium high heat, boil the water.
- Turn off the burner and add all the rest of the ingredients, except the meat.
- Let the brine cool to room temperature.
- Place the meat in a large Ziploc bag and pour the brine in the bag. Squeeze out all of the air and zip the bag closed. Place the bag on a deep plate or bowl in case the bag should leak.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Cook the roast your favorite way such as in the oven, grill or even smoke it like we did.