Apple Cider Doughnut Cake
Fall is the prefect time to make this Apple Cider Doughnut Cake. I was seeing this recipe all over Facebook so I had to try it after my mother-in-law brought us a gallon of cider. It was an easy cake to make and I drizzled mine with icing instead of the butter and cinnamon sugar topping it called for.
Adapted from Princesspinkygirl.com
In a large bowl add the dry cake mix, apple
cider, applesauce, eggs, cinnamon,
brown sugar and vanilla.
Beat with a mixer on medium
speed until smooth and creamy.
Generously grease a 12 cup bundt pan.
Flour the pan and tap out any excess flour.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for
40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
into the center comes out clean. Cool in
the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Using a rubber spatula gently make sure the
cake isn’t sticking to the sides of the pan and
then place a plate, upside down, on top.
Holding the pan and plate together, flip the
cake over so it sits on the plate upright then
carefully pull the pan off of the cake.
Let the cake cool completely.
Make the icing next by placing the
powdered sugar into a small bowl.
Add the vanilla and a little cider then stir or whisk
well until smooth and runny. If not runny enough
add a little more cider to get the consistency you
want. If too runny add more powdered sugar. You
are only drizzling the icing, not frosting the cake.
Drizzle the icing and serve.
Apple Cider Doughnut Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup apple cider
- ½ cup cinnamon applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- apple cider, enough to make a drizzle icing consisitency
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl add the dry cake mix, apple cider, applesauce, eggs, cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Beat with the mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Generously grease a 12 cup bundt pan. Sprinkle with flour making sure all of the grease is covered with the flour. Tap out the excess flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently make sure the cake isn’t sticking to the sides of the pan.
- Place a plate upside down on top of the cake. Holdig the pan and the plate together, flip the cake over onto the plate. Carefully remove the pan from the cake leaving the cake on the plate. Let cake cool completely.
- In a small bowl with a spoon or a whisk, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and just enough apple cider to make a drizzle consistency. Icing should be smooth and creamy with no lumps.
- Using a small spoon drizzle the icing over the cake, you are not frosting the cake. Serve immediately or let the icing set then serve. Cover any leftovers.