This is my version of Louisiana Jambalaya. I used rotisserie chicken and smoked kielbasa (or andouille) instead of seafood. There are so many wonderful vegetables in this dish that are combined with the meat and rice….. you have to try it! It has a kick with the pepper and cayenne pepper but just enough to taste delicious!
In a Dutch oven pan over medium heat
add 1 Tbsp oil, chicken and sausage.
Add the salt and pepper then stir.
Cook the meat for about 3 minutes
until it is hot and it just starts to brown.
Remove meat from the pan and set aside.
Add the other 1 Tbsp of oil to the same
pan. Add the celery, the regular diced
onions, green pepper and garlic.
Cook over medium heat until
the vegetables are crisp tender.
Add the rice, cayenne pepper and
chicken broth to the vegetables and stir.
Add the chicken and sausage.
Stir and bring to a boil. Cover, turn
to low heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add
the tomato and green onion.
Gently toss to combine. Put the lid
back on and let sit for a few minutes.
Place in a bowl and serve.
- 2 cups cooked rotisserie chicken, cut into 1” pieces
- 14 oz smoked kielbasa or andouille, sliced into 1/4” pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, peeled and diced
- 1 green pepper diced, top and insides removed
- 1 cup celery, diced (about 2 stalks)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup sliced green onions, white and green part
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat add 1 Tbsp of oil, chicken and sausage.
- Add the salt and pepper then stir. Cook for about 3 minutes until the meat is hot and just turning brown.
- Remove the meat from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add the other 1 Tbsp of oil, onions, celery, green pepper and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are a crisp tender.
- Add the rice, cayenne pepper and chicken broth to the vegetables then stir.
- Add the chicken and sausage then stir.
- Bring to a boil, cover and turn to low heat. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the tomato and green onions. Cover and let sit a few minutes then serve.