Absolute perfection! I have never tasted a better Fried Mushroom in my life. My mushrooms were gigantic and I had to cut them into quarters. As much as I hate to fry food, I will fry these again in a heartbeat. When you bite into them, the breading stays attached and the flavor….oh my! If you love mushrooms like I do, you have to try this one!
Source: Kudos to http://www.geniuskitchen.com for a fabulous recipe!
In a small bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
Pour the water into the flour mixture.
Using a whisk, combine the flour mixture with the water until a
batter is formed and the flour mixture is all mixed in.
In a deep pan add enough oil so it is about 2”-3” deep.
Heat the oil over medium heat until a small drop of batter dropped in it sizzles.
Take a toothpick and insert it into a mushroom.
Completely cover the mushroom with the batter
allowing the excess batter to drip off.
Immediately drop the battered mushroom into the breadcrumbs,
making sure it is completely coated with the crumbs and removing the toothpick.
Carefully drop the breaded mushrooms in a single layer into the oil.
Using a slotted spoon, scoop the mushrooms out of the oil.
Let the excess oil run off and place the mushrooms onto a
plate that is covered with paper towels.
Let them cool for a few minutes then serve.
- 10 oz fresh white mushrooms
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a medium bowl mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- Add the water to the flour mixture.
- Whisk it together into a batter.
- Using a toothpick, stab a mushroom and dip the mushroom into the batter. Remove mushrooms with the toothpick allowing the extra batter to drip off.
- Immediately place the battered mushroom into the bread crumbs and remove the toothpick.
- Heat oil 2”-3” deep over medium heat until a drop of batter sizzles when dropped into it.
- Carefully put the breaded mushrooms into the hot oil in a single layer until golden brown, turning over to brown both sides.
- Remove to a plate covered with paper towel to drain the oil.
- Let cool 5 minutes and serve.