Did you enjoy eating Lucky Charms as a kid? Do you enjoy eating Peeps? How about marshmallows toasted over a fire? If you answered yes and have a dehydrator or oven, you have to try these! I have dehydrated small marshmallows before but never Peeps. I keep seeing posts about how delicious these are. I know I like to munch on small dehydrated marshmallows to help with a sweet craving, after all, marshmallows are fat free so that must make it OK right?
The little ones taste just like when I was a kid and I would pick out the marshmallows from the cereal. They are crunchy, sweet and delicious. Peeps on the other hand are crunchy, sweet and delicious too. But to me they taste like they were toasted over a campfire with that crunchy golden brown flavor, just the way I like them!
What amazes me is how long it takes to dehydrate Peeps, about 12 hours, and they don’t shrink in size once they are dehydrated. To test if they are dry enough, remove one and let it cool completely, then do a taste test. They should be completely crunchy. To store them, let them cool completely and keep them in an airtight container. I kept my small dehydrated marshmallows for almost 2 months and they were still crunchy and delicious. I’m sure they would have lasted longer had I not eaten them. If you don’t have a dehydrator, put them on a pan covered with parchment paper, turn the oven to it’s lowest temperature and put them in and wait.
- 1 pack bunny peeps (or more)
- Preheat dehydrator to 165 degrees if you have a thermostat setting. Otherwise, just preheat to what ever the manufacturer has it set for. If using an oven, preheat on the lowest temperature possible.
- Place Peeps on trays with a 1″ gap between them. Dehydrate for as long as it takes to get them dry. Mine took 12 hours. If you don’t want to wait that long, cut each Peep into 3 pieces and then place them on the trays.
- Once dry, remove Peeps and allow to cool completely. The only way to tell if they are completely dry is to let them cool before testing for dryness as they will seem gummy while they are still warm.
- Store in an airtight container.