Zuppa Toscana Soup
This is my version of Zuppa Toscana Soup. One bowl is a complete meal and so delicious. You can make this soup hot and spicy, as I did, using hot Italian Sausage or whatever Italian Sausage is your favorite to get the amount of heat you want. One batch makes four large soup bowls full.
Add cooked sausage, potatoes, onion
and garlic to a large stock pot. I am using
my Ninja 3 in 1 cooker on the stove top
settings in these pictures.
Add chicken broth and water to
the pot. Cook on medium heat with
a lid until the soup comes to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook
until the potatoes are almost tender.
In a small bowl, mix the flour into the
cream and whisk to remove the lumps.
Add the cream mixture, bacon and
the spinach to the pot. Continue cooking
until the soup thickens slightly,
about 10-15 minutes.
Zuppa Toscana Soup
- 1# spicy Italian sausage links
- 4-6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon pieces
- 1/2 tsp dried minced garlic
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup water, about
- In a frying pan, brown the sausage links on all sides.
- Remove them from the pan and cut them in half lengthwise. Return them to the pan and lightly brown the raw side of the sausage. Remove from the pan and cut the sausage into 1/2″ pieces.
- In a large stock pot add sausage, potatoes, onions, garlic and chicken broth.
- Add enough water to make sure potatoes and the sausage are covered (about 1 cup).
- Cook on medium heat, with a lid, until the soup boils stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat to simmer and cook for about 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are tender.
- Whisk the flour with cream until there are no lumps.
- Add cream mixture, spinach and bacon to the soup. Cook another 10-15 minutes or until soup thickens slightly.