I found the best way to prepare corned beef and sauerkraut is to use your slow cooker. You can cook both the corned beef and sauerkraut at the same time making it so easy. All that’s left is to toast your bread and assemble the sandwich.
- 1 (2-3 pound) corned beef brisket
- 2# refrigerated sauerkraut
- 2-3 cups water
- Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 loaf rye bread
- Swiss Cheese slices (about 8 oz.)
- Place corned beef brisket in the slow cooker.
- Rinse and thoroughly drain sauerkraut pressing the liquid out with a spoon. Place the sauerkraut around the corned beef brisket. If your slow cooker isn’t big enough, place sauerkraut down first and the corned beef brisket on top of the sauerkraut.
- Pour water over the sauerkraut. Sprinkle spices from the brisket (if included) over the brisket. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until corned beef is cooked through.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Toast in a fry pan, butter side down, until it starts to turn a golden brown. Let cool.
- Spread Thousand Island Dressing on the unbuttered sides of the toasted bread.
- Remove the corned beef from the slow cooker to a cutting board and slice. Place some corned beef slices on top of one piece of the toasted bread with the dressing.
- Remove sauerkraut and drain liquid, pressing the liquid out with a spoon. Place a spoonful of sauerkraut on top of the corned beef.
- Top with a slice of cheese and place the other slice of toast on top. Serve immediately.