Did You Know – Sponge
Did you know that if you use a squishy soft sponge made of cellulose fiber in your kitchen, it could be one of the filthiest things in your house? They harbor bacteria, mold and yeast. However, don’t give up on your sponge as I will share two solutions to this problem.
1. According to the scientists at the USDA, you can zap your sponge in the microwave for one minute on high and kill up to 99.9999 percent of the bacteria, mold and yeast. However, follow their advice and make sure there isn’t any metallic material or a plastic scouring pad attached. Thoroughly soak the sponge in water because a dry sponge could catch on fire. Place the wet sponge in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for one minute. Let the sponge cool in the microwave for 10-15 minutes. Remove the sponge and squeeze out any excess water.
2. You can also clean your sponge in the dishwasher, with your dishes, on the hottest and longest setting. According to the USDA this will kill 99.9998 percent of all microbes.
It is recommended to sanitize your sponge every day and replace it every 1-2 weeks. Throw away your sponge the moment it starts to smell funky.
Only use your sponge to clean dishes in the sink. You will be spreading germs if you also use it on your countertops, cutting boards, appliances and the dining table.
Categories: Did You Know