Caramelization is the browning of the natural sugar in the onions which results in a sweet nutty flavor and brown color. I ate this entire bowl of onions as my supper. I do not like raw onions, however, when you caramelize them they taste completely different. They are delicious on just about anything you would normally put onions on or eat them like I do, right out of a bowl.
Slice the ends off of the onions and peel.
Cut each onion in half.
Slice each half about 1/4” thick.
Separate the segments.
In a large skillet over medium low heat, melt the butter.
Add the onions, salt and pepper to taste.
Cook and toss until cooked
through and a golden brown.
Place onions on top of your favorite
food or eat right out of the bowl.
- 1 large onion
- 1-2 Tbsp. Butter
- Slice the ends off and peel the onion.
- Cut the onion in half then slice into 1/4” thick pieces, separating the segments.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion then salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until the onions are soft and a golden brown then serve.