Pumpkin Roll is a favorite holiday dessert of mine. A Pumpkin Roll is pumpkin cake that is covered with a cream cheese filling, rolled up and sliced. The thing I love about this pumpkin roll, other than the taste, is that it can be made and frozen ahead of time. Just thaw it out, dust with powdered sugar and it’s ready to eat. If you have ever wanted to learn how to make a pumpkin roll this is it. Below is my simple step by step directions to make it easier.
Grease a 15″ x 10″ jelly roll pan.
Line the pan with waxed paper.
I rub my hand over the top so
the waxed paper sticks to the pan.
Grease the top of the waxed paper and
then lightly dust it with flour,
tapping out the excess.
Sprinkle a dish towel
(that is at least as big as the pan)
with powdered sugar.
In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder,
baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
Whisk to combine.
In a large mixing bowl add the
eggs and granulated sugar.
Beat with a mixer on
medium speed until thick.
Add the pumpkin.
Beat in the pumpkin.
Add the dry ingredients.
STIR into the batter.
Spread batter evenly on top of the
prepared waxed paper in the pan.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for
13 – 15 minutes. or until the cake top springs
back when touched. If using a dark pan start
checking at 11 minutes which I did and
mine wasn’t ready so I left a finger
hole in the center…oops! Once done
immediately loosen the sides of the cake
and place spatula’s under the waxed paper
to help loosen the cake and help to flip it over.
Flip the cake over on top of the prepared
dish towel. I always have my husband flip
the opposite side with me. This is the
hardest part of making the pumpkin roll.
Carefully peel off the waxed paper.
Roll the dish towel and the cake
starting at the narrow end.
Completely roll to the end.
Once it is rolled completely,
place it on a cooling rack seam side down.
FILLING: In a large mixing bowl
add the butter and cream cheese.
Beat until creamy and combined.
Add the powdered sugar and vanilla.
Beat on medium speed until
smooth and creamy.
Place plastic wrap directly on top of
the cream cheese filling to keep from
drying out until the cake cools, set aside.
Once the cake feels completely cool, place
it on the counter and carefully unroll.
Place the cream cheese mixture
on top of the cake.
Carefully spread it out evenly.
Reroll the cake as tightly as you can without
squishing the cake. Wrap in plastic wrap
and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or wrap
and place into a freezer bag and freeze
for another day. To thaw, place in the
refrigerator the morning that you need it.
Slice into single serving size pieces and
dust with powdered sugar then serve.
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle over the towel)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (canned Libby’s) 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- powdered sugar (optional for decoration)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 15″ x 10″ jelly roll pan.
- Line the pan with waxed paper, smoothing it with your hand so it sticks to the pan.
- Grease and lightly flour the top of the waxed paper. Tap off excess flour.
- Lay a thin dish towel on the counter and sprinkle the powdered sugar on top. Use a dish towel that is at least as big as the pan.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs and granulated sugar until thick.
- Add the pumpkin mixing until combined.
- STIR in the dry ingredients until combined and no lumps remain.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 – 15 minutes or until the cake top springs back when touched. If using a dark coated pan start checking at 11 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when done and immediately loosen the sides and flip the pan over on top of the prepared dish towel.
- Carefully peel off the waxed paper.
- Roll the towel and the cake starting at the narrow end. Roll tightly but do not squish the cake.
- Place the cake roll with the towel, seam side down, onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, on medium speed, beat the butter and cream cheese until combined.
- Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Place plastic wrap directly on top so it doesn’t dry out and set aside.
MAKING THE PUMPKIN ROLL:
- Once the cake feels completely cool, carefully unroll the cake and dishtowel.
- Place the cream cheese mixture on top of the cake and spread it out evenly.
- Reroll the cake with the filling tightly (without the towel) so there are no air gaps but without squishing the cake. Place it seam side down.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. You can also wrap it then place it in a freezer bag to use another time. Just thaw in the refrigerator the morning of when you plan to eat it.
- Slice and dust with powdered sugar before serving if you wish.