Help! Why am I posting these Creamed Carrots when they don’t look very creamy? I have two answers to that question. One reason is because they tasted really, really good! The second reason is because I wanted you to know that everything I make does not always turn out as planned. This is the first time I have posted a recipe that didn’t turn out like I wanted. I followed somebody else’s recipe so I don’t know if they messed up the instructions or not but it definitely tasted great.
I have never been a good roux maker but it usually does turn out better than this. This started out OK but then it thickened up too much at the end so I tried to add more cream. By the time I put it over my cooked carrots it looked like this. So it may not look that appealing but I am telling you I will make this again because the taste of the sauce has the most delicious flavor! If anyone knows what went wrong please tell me because even at my age, I look forward to learning where I went wrong.
Source: My Great Recipes
In a large pot, boil water with
about 1/4 tsp of salt. Add the carrots
and boil about 15 minutes or
until the carrots are tender.
Drain and keep carrots warm.
In a small saucepan over medium
heat melt the butter.
Add the flour stirring constantly.
Stir for 1-2 minutes until thick.
Slowly add the cream, whisking
constantly until smooth.
Using a fork break the egg yolk.
Add a little of the hot cream sauce to the egg yolk
stirring constantly until smooth and creamy.
Add the egg yolk into the cream sauce.
Whisk until smooth.
Add the dried oregano and salt.
Whisk for 2 minutes.
This is where the consistency
started to change for me. But the taste
was delicious so I didn’t really care.
Place the carrots into a serving dish.
Pour the cream sauce on top.
Top with fresh parsley and serve.
- 1# baby carrots, clean and peeled
- 1/2 tsp salt, for water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy (or whipping) cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large pot, boil salted water.
- Add the carrots and boil for 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes until thick.
- Slowly add the cream, whisking constantly.
- Break the egg yolk with a fork in a small bowl.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the cream slowly to the egg stirring quickly and whisking until smooth.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the cream sauce whisking until smooth.
- Add the salt and oregano. Continue to cook and whisk for about 2 minutes.
- Place the carrots into a serving bowl and pour cream sauce over the top.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.