Beef Heart Stew
Once again, I don’t like to waste a wonderful piece of beef meat. The heart is very good to eat but it can be a little challenging to cut up so make sure you have a sharp knife! Making Beef Heart Stew is as easy as any other beef stew but with it’s own delicious unique flavor. Once you cut it up it looks like any other beef stew meat so don’t let the fact that it’s a heart steer you away from trying this amazing cut of meat. To me heart is delicious and like the texture of chicken gizzards but tender.
Source: Adapted from http://www.allrecipes.com
Rinse the heart in cold water and
pat dry with a paper towel.
Using a sharp knife, remove all fat
and arteries. Cut into 1/2” cubes.
Place the meat into a medium bowl.
In a small bowl, combine
the flour, pepper and both salts.
Mix until combined.
Add the flour mixture to the
beef heart cubes.
Toss until coated.
In a Dutch oven over medium high
heat, add oil and heat until hot.
Add the beef mixture scraping
all of the excess flour into the pan.
Cook until browned stirring frequently.
Stir in the onion and the beef broth.
Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
Put the lid on and simmer on low for
1 hour or until the beef heart is tender.
Add the frozen peas & carrots and
cook until they are hot.
Place into serving bowls and enjoy!
Beef Heart Stew
- 1 beef heart
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- Rinse the heart in cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Use a sharp knife and remove all fat and arteries. Cut meat into 1/2” cubes.
- Place the meat into a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, pepper and both salts.
- Add the flour mixture to the beef cubes and toss until well coated.
- Add the oil to a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Once hot add all of the beef and flour.
- Cook until brown, a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the onion and beef broth. Bring to a boil and turn to low and simmer with a lid.
- Simmer for 1 hour or until the beef is tender.
- Add the frozen peas & carrots and cook until they are hot.
- Place into serving bowls and serve.