Rhubarb Custard Bars
Crunchy cookie like crust with a light custard filling topped off with rhubarb. These Rhubarb Custard Bars taste amazing! The crust and custard are just the right amount of sweetness to compliment the tartness of the rhubarb. If you love rhubarb, as I do, wait until you taste this! I used my home grown rhubarb for this recipe.
Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Make the crust: Combine the sugar and flour.
Add the butter and cut the butter in with a pastry blender or fork.
Cut it in until the butter is the size of very small peas.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
Using your hands press down the mixture evenly forming a crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
While the crust is baking, make the custard filling.
In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt.
In a small bowl, using a fork, whisk the eggs.
Add the eggs to the sugar mixture.
Stir until combined.
Add the vanilla and the
rhubarb stirring well after each addition.
Pour the mixture evenly on top of the partially baked crust.
Bake in an 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
Serve warm or cold.
Once slightly cool, cover and store in the refrigerator.
Rhubarb Custard Bars
- 1-1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, 1 stick (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4-5 cups diced rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an oven safe 9″ x 13″ pan with cooking spray.
- CRUST: Combine the flour and the sugar together. Add the butter and cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or a fork cutting until the butter is the size of small peas.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan. Using your hands press down on the mixture making the crust.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- FILLING: While the crust is baking, make the custard filling. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour and salt.
- In a small bowl, using a fork, whisk the eggs and add them to the sugar mixture. Stir until combined
- Add the vanilla and rhubarb stirring after each addition.
- Pour the mixture into the partially baked crust.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator covered.