Bread pudding has been around for centuries. Way back when, it was considered a poor mans pudding. They would make it by using up their stale bread which is exactly what I did! Bread Pudding can be eaten with or without the sauce on top. We ate it right out of the oven while it was still hot and it tasted absolutely delicious!
Adapted from: Mennonite and Amish Recipes and more.
Ingredients for bread pudding.
Ingredients for sauce.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat,
heat the cream mixture until hot but not boiling.
Pour the melted butter into the cream.
In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, eggs,
cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Beat with a
mixer on medium speed for one minute.
Slowly whisk cinnamon mixture into the
cream mixture until completely combined.
Spray a 2 quart casserole
dish with cooking oil.
Place the bread onto the
bottom of the casserole dish.
Sprinkle the bread with raisins, optional.
Slowly pour the cream mixture
on top of the bread.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven
for 45-50 minutes or until set.
To make the sauce, combine all of the sauce
ingredients, bring to a boil over medium
heat and boil for 3-4 minutes stirring constantly.
Let sit for five minutes then pour
over the warm bread pudding.
- 2 cups heavy cream, half-n-half or whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (if you don’t make the sauce increase to 2/3 cup)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups crustless bread torn into small pieces (stale bread works best)
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
Bread Pudding Sauce ingredients:
- 1 cup heavy cream, half-n-half or whole milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp flour
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk just until it starts to boil but do not let it boil. Add the melted butter and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, use a mixer and combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Beat for one minute on medium speed with a mixer.
- Slowly whisk this mixture into the milk mixture.
- Lightly spray a 2 quart oven safe casserole dish with cooking oil.
- Place the bread pieces evenly in the bottom of the casserole.
- Top the bread with raisins, optional. Slowly pour the milk mixture over the bread making sure all of the bread is soaked in the milk mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until Bread Pudding is set.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over the bread pudding and serve warm.