Why in the world would you spend so much money on Mayonnaise from the store when you can make this recipe in just a few minutes. You won’t buy Mayonnaise this fresh or cheap in any store!
Now somebody will comment about the safety of using raw eggs and yes, that can be a concern. There are many ways around it like buying pasteurized eggs, pasteurizing the egg yourself or even using an egg substitute. I will not go any further with this subject but just know there are options out there. For the purpose of this recipe, I will be using a regular store-bought egg.
Source: As Easy As Pie
Place all of the ingredients (in order) into
a bowl being careful not to break the egg.
Using an immersion blender, blend on
high without moving the blender for
10 seconds. Continue blending until
mixture looks like mayonnaise.
This happens almost instantly.
Refrigerate immediately and any leftovers.
- 1 egg (cold from the refrigerator)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 – 1/2 Tbl sunflower oil (cold from the refrigerator)
- 2 Tbl lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place all of the ingredients into a bowl, in the order of the recipe, being careful not to break the egg yolk.
- Put the immersion blender into the mixture to the bottom of the bowl. Without moving the blender, blend on high for 10 seconds. Continue to blend moving blender until the mixture begins to emulsify, look like mayonnaise and get completely combined. This happens almost instantly.
- Place mayonnaise in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week.