Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets
These Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets were so much fun to make. I made them using puff pastry. I didn’t make the puff pastry myself, it was frozen. I had some ham slices in my freezer that I wanted to use up so that’s why I made Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets. You can put anything inside these. I was thinking about making Pizza Hot Pockets next time.
Ingredients – Also flour & water
Cut oven safe parchment paper to
fit a baking sheet.
Lightly flour the parchment paper.
Thaw the puff pastry according to the
package directions. I only let mine thaw
enough that I could unfold it without breaking
it. Place one sheet of puff pastry on the
floured parchment paper on the baking sheet.
Place your favorite cheese evenly
on top making six hot pockets.
Place chopped up ham pieces
on top of the cheese.
Make an egg wash with one egg mixed with
1 Tbsp of water. Brush the egg wash all
around the ham and cheese, covering
all of the puff pastry.
Unroll the second sheet of puff pastry and
lay it on top of the ham. Cut both sheets
into six pieces with a thin sharp knife.
I used a cheese knife. Cut in a fast slicing
motion. Do not drag the knife through the
pastry or it will not puff properly. Since
mine were still a little frozen they cut easily.
Using a fork, crimp all of the edges tightly
on every hot pocket. The egg wash acts
as a glue helping to keep it stuck together.
Quickly make three slits in the top of each
hot pocket to allow the steam to escape.
Completely egg wash the tops of
all six sealed hot pockets.
Place in a preheated 400 degree oven for
28 – 30 minutes until golden brown. Let
cool for about 5 minutes and dig in!
Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 4 – 6 pieces of ham, chopped
- 3 slices American cheese or your favorite kind, cut in half
- 1 egg, beaten with a fork
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 – 2 Tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Thaw two puff pastry sheets according to the package directions. I used mine as soon as I could unfold them without breaking them.
- Cut oven safe parchment paper the size of your baking sheet. Place parchment paper on the baking sheet and lightly coat the top with flour.
- Unroll one puff pastry sheet. Lay it on the floured paper.
- Place six half pieces of cheese evenly on the puff pastry sheet. Place ham pieces on top of the cheese. You need to leave at least 1/2″ edge around the ham and cheese.
- Using a fork, mix egg and water making an egg wash. Brush the egg wash all over the exposed puff pastry around the ham and cheese. The egg wash helps glue the puff pastry together.
- Lay the second sheet of puff pastry on top. Using a sharp thin knife, cut the puff pastry sheets into six pieces making sure the ham and cheese is in the center.
- Using a fork, press down with the tines completely crimping all four edges of each of the six hot pockets, sealing in the ham and cheese.
- Using a thin sharp knife, cut three slits in the top of each hot pocket.
- Brush egg wash all over the tops of the hot pockets.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool five minutes and serve.