Did You Know – Ramekins
Have you ever heard the word Ramekin and wondered what it is? These are my Ramekins and we use them all the time. Below are some interesting things about the Ramekin.
- The term Ramekin is derived from the French Ramekin meaning a cheese or meat based bowl in a small mould.
- They are typically sold in 2 oz. – 12 oz. in size.
- Ramekins come in porcelain, ceramic, tempered glass and other materials.
- Most are dishwasher, oven, broiler, microwave and freezer safe.
- It is the most used dish for making one of my favorite desserts, Crème Brûlée.
- Perfect for individual servings of nuts, candy and dips for guests or for portion control for yourself.
- For breakfast they are used for soufflés and baked eggs.
- They are perfect for a singe serving of a pot pie or even soup.
- Just the right size for custards and pudding too.
- Melted chocolate, in Ramekins, is great for dipping fruit like strawberries so need to worry about double dipping.
There are literally hundreds of things you can use these little bowls for, just use your imagination!
Do you use your Ramekins for something other than what I have mentioned, if so what is it?
Categories: Did You Know