Sausage Stuffed Baked Potatoes
Baked potatoes scooped out and piled high with mashed potatoes that are mixed with sausage, onion and topped with cheese. Add a vegetable on the side and you have a complete meal.
In a preheated 350º oven bake the potatoes
on the rack for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
While the potatoes bake add the oil,
sausage and onion to a large skillet.
Cook over medium heat until the onion
is tender and the sausage is completely
cooked then set aside.
Place the potatoes into a baking dish.
Slice into the top making an oval shape.
Peel off the skin from the cut part and discard.
Scoop out the inside leaving a thick layer attached
to the skin and saving the scooped out potatoes into a bowl.
Salt and pepper the inside of the potato shells.
In the bowl with the scooped out potatoes add the
butter, salt, pepper and using a mixer beat until smooth.
Add a little milk to make it creamy but it still needs to be
stiff so it stays in the potato shells when piled high.
Using a large spoon stir in the sausage.
Stuff the mashed potatoes into the shells pressing it
in firmly and piled high. You should be able to put
almost all of the mashed potatoes into the shells.
Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until hot.
Sprinkle with cheese and place back into
the oven until the cheese melts.
Garnish with parsley or sliced green onion then serve.
Sausage Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- 4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed clean with water and pat dry
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1# Italian sausage, hot or mild
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- milk as needed
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese, or your favorite
- parsley or sliced green onion for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the potatoes right on the oven rack (Do not poke them). Bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours (depending on size) or until the potato is tender.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil, sausage and onion. Cook until the sausage is completely cooked and the onions are tender.
- Place the cooked potatoes into a baking dish just big enough to keep the potatoes from moving. If you have to, roll up some foil to fill in the gaps.
- Slice an oval shape into the top of the potatoes about 1/4 of the way from the top. Peel off the cut skin and discard.
- Using a small spoon, carefully scoop out the potato insides, leaving about 3/8″ still attached to the skin. Place the scooped out potato into a bowl.
- Salt and pepper the inside of the potatoes skins.
- In the bowl of scooped out potatoes add the butter and more salt and pepper to taste. Using a mixer, beat until smooth and creamy. If the mashed potato is too stiff, add a little milk but not too much or it won’t stay in the potato when piled high.
- Using a large spoon add the sausage and onion and toss until combined.
- Stuff the sausage mixture into the shells, pressing firmly but being careful not to break open the shell. You should be able to pile high almost all of the mixture into the shells. I had about 1 cup leftover which I ate!
- Bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with as much cheese as you want and place back into the oven until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with parsley or green onion then serve.