Anything Goes Breakfast Strata
Strata is similar to quiche or frittata and is made with any kind of bread, cheese, veggies, eggs and precooked meat. I made mine in a cooking class and Chef Christal Jakopak had us make ours filled with everything bagels, two kinds of cheese, eggs, milk, red onion, green onions, tomatoes and seasonings. This is a delicious breakfast or brunch and a great way to use up leftovers. You can even make it the night before and cook it in the morning.
Ingredients – This is just some of the
ingredients we used. You can use
whatever is your favorite.
With our strata, we started by
greasing two loaf pans because we
had to split our recipe with our partner.
You will want to grease a 9” x 13” pan.
In a large bowl add the eggs.
Add the milk, salt, pepper, garlic
powder and cayenne pepper.
Whisk to combine.
(We put our green onion in by
mistake. It goes on the top only.)
In the pan, place half
of the bagel pieces.
Add the half of cream cheese.
Add half of the tomatoes, red onion
or any other veggies you use.
Save the green onions for the top.
Add the shredded cheese.
Now repeat the layers.
Press down hard on the
layers to pack it together.
Because I had to split this recipe with
my partner we only had enough
ingredients to make one layer.
Yours will have two layers.
Pour the eggs over the top making sure
the bagels are submerged in the egg.
Garnish with the green onions.
Cover tightly with foil.
At this point you can refrigerate for
an hour or even overnight. Just make
sure you let it sit on the counter for about
30 minutes before placing it in the oven. We
did not have time for that so the chef baked
ours immediately and they turned out fine.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Remove the foil and bake an additional
15 – 25 minutes or until the top is golden
brown and the eggs are cooked through.
Anything Goes Breakfast Strata
- 4 everything bagels (cut into 1″ cubes then toasted in the oven at 250 degrees for 5-10 minutes)
- 1 & 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cubed into 12 pieces
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 8 large eggs
- 2 & 1/2 cups milk
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 green onions, sliced (for garnish)
You can add any veggies or cooked meat like bacon, sausage etc. or your own favorite cheese.
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ oven safe dish with cooking oil.
- In a large bowl add the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper, whisk to combine.
- In the greased pan, place half of the following: toasted bagels, cream cheese, sliced tomatoes, red onion and shredded cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- Press down to pack the ingredients tightly. Slowly add the egg mixture and press down again making sure the bagel cubes are covered in the egg.
- Top off with the sliced green onions then cover tightly with foil.
- You can refrigerate for 1 hour or more, even overnight. Let the Strata sit on the counter for 30 minutes before baking if refrigerated. You don’t have to refrigerate.
- Bake covered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 – 25 minutes more or until the top is brown, the eggs are cooked.