Taco Lettuce Wraps
Simple yet exploding in flavor! Ground beef simmered with taco seasoning, onion, taco sauce and more. All that yumminess placed on top of large lettuce leaves then topped with cheese and your favorite toppings. A wonderful way to have a taco by skipping the taco shell and replacing it with lettuce.
In a large frying pan over medium heat,
add the ground beef and cook until no
pink remains then drain the grease.
Add the taco seasoning to the ground beef.
Combine the taco sauce, water and onion.
Pour the mixture into the ground beef.
Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer
for about 10 minutes, without a cover.
It will be ready when all of
the liquid is all absorbed.
Add the tomato sauce and stir.
Bring to a simmer and simmer until the
liquid is absorbed and the ground beef
can be picked up with a spoon.
Place the ground beef onto the lettuce leaves.
Top with cheese, tomatoes, jalapeños
or your favorite toppings then serve.
Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1# ground beef
- 1 – package (1 & 1/4 oz.) OR 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp. dried minced onions
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 jalepeno pepper, sliced or diced
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce heart leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- Taco seasoning for topping
- Any other of your favorite toppings, optional
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add the ground beef and cook until no pink remains. Drain and discard the grease.
- Stir in the taco seasoning.
- In a small bowl combine the taco sauce, water and dried onions.
- Pour mixture into the ground beef and stir well.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir. Bring to a simmer and simmer until the liquid is absorbed again. You should be able to scoop it up with a spoon, it will be thick. Remove from the heat.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to cool down. Place spoonful’s of the mixture onto the individual lettuce leaves.
- Top with cheese, tomatoes, jalapeno’s, extra taco sauce and any other topping you want then serve.
Categories: Cheese, Ground Beef, Salad/Dressings, Vegetables/Slaws/Salads
Looks so healthy!
Thank you it’s like a salad you can hold…lol
What a great idea
Fantastic idea for people reducing carbs.
Thanks but I eat them because I like the lettuce better than the taco shells…..yes I’m weird! lol
Looks super delicious! 😍
Thank you Prairie Chick!
Excellent idea! 😊
These look wonderful. Sort of like a hand-held taco salad!
Yes exactly. Thanks so much!
Thanks! I have wondered if lettuce would hold up as a “shell”
The Romaine lettuce definitely does.
Good to know! Thanks!!!
Very suitable for our summer.
Thank you it is so delicious!
All kinds of good!
Simply but looks so great! I like how the green of the lettuce it gives an additional touch 🙂
It was so simple and if they are large lettuce leaves it isn’t even messy. I love eating them this way. Thanks so much!
Lettuce wraps are one of my favorite meal. Yours looks delicious and healthy!
Thank you Ellie! ❤
I always enjoy lettuce wraps. It has been a while since I made them. Thanks for reminding me how good they are.
You’re welcome! Isn’t it funny how we get into such a rut and eat the same things the same way most of the time? A fellow blogger posted an fried egg sandwich the other day. Guess what I made for lunch…..lol
I know. I was just looking at a hot dog soup thinking I should make that for a quick lunch. My mother would make that for lunch when I was a kid.
Thanks so much for sharing!
What a very clever idea and I do not think you are weird for preferring lettuce to taco shells. Personally, I would go for the traditional option but that is the joy of food and cooking, you just adapt things to suit your tastes.
You’re right! That is the fun in cooking! Thanks!
I”m definitely trying this.
this is awesome
This is my favorite way to eat a taco salad. Enjoy and thank you!
You can have extra ones since you’re skipping the chips. Your site looks nice how you redid it. 🙂
You can save calories by not having the regular tortilla shells – so can have extra of these.
I like that Linda!
We’ve had lettuce wraps before too and they’re really good compared to using tortillas haha
We also have had burgers as well. Super delish!
I’ve never tried a burger that way. I will have to try it….thanks!
Being the first warm day of Spring I decided to try these for today’s Sunday lunch instead of our usual roast. Delicious and very filling. 🙂
Thank you and I’m so glad that you liked them! Yes they are very filling!
This is right up my alley!
Me too so much better than a taco shell!
Sounds so good! I’ve got all the ingredients 🙂
Enjoy this is so delicious! ❤