Basic White Sauce
Do you remember when your Mom or Grandma made a basic white sauce to put over food like vegetables, chicken, lamb, shrimp, fish, beef, veal or ham. Maybe you even make it yourself now. It is a simple sauce that adds a different taste to food and can be used alone or you can add other ingredients to it like curry, dill, cheese or mustard for a different taste . If you can’t get your kids to eat their vegetables or a certain meat, give this a try to see if you can change their mind.
Source: Betty Crocker Cookbook
In a small saucepan over medium
low heat, melt the butter.
Add the flour, salt and pepper.
Stir constantly over medium low
heat until smooth and bubbly.
Remove from the heat and stir in the milk.
Return to the heat, stirring
constantly, bring to a boil.
Boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
Add to whatever food you like and
serve or add one of the ingredients
at the bottom of the recipe
card below and then serve.
Basic White Sauce
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat until melted.
- Stir in the flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from the heat.
- Stir in the milk until smooth.
- Place back on the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Pour over whatever food you plan to use with the sauce.
- If you want a thicker white sauce, increase both the butter and flour to 1/4 cup.
- To make a curry sauce add 1/2 tsp curry powder with the flour. Serve with chicken, lamb or shrimp.
- For a dill sauce, stir in 1 tsp snipped dill weed or 1/2 tsp dried dill weed and a dash of ground nutmeg with the flour. This is good with fish.
- For mustard sauce you need to decrease the butter and the flour to 1 Tbsp each. After boiling and stirring for 1 minute, stir in 3 Tbsp prepared mustard and 1 Tbsp prepared horseradish. Serve with beef, veal, ham or vegetables.
- For a cheese sauce, add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese to the sauce after you boil it for 1 minute, stirring until melted.