This is a recipe that has been around for decades! I never knew why it was called Johnny Marzetti and I’m sure many of my Ohio friends and family didn’t either. I find this to be a fascinating story of how this recipe came about and what other product is still in existence today…hint….Marzetti. Read what http://www.Wikipedia.org states about how the name and recipe Johnny Marzetti originated followed by my step by step directions to make this delicious dish!
Source: All information below was taken from the Wikipedia website.
In a large pan cook the noodles according to the package directions and drain.
In a large frying pan add the onion and ground beef.
Season with the salt and pepper and cook over medium heat
until the onions are tender and the ground beef is no longer pink.
Add the tomato soup and sugar.
Spray a 4 qt casserole dish with cooking oil.
Add half of the noodles to the casserole dish.
Add half the hamburger mixture on top of the noodles.
Add six pieces of cheese on top of the hamburger mixture tearing them in half
to make them fit then repeat using the last half of ingredients in the same order.
Sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs and bake with
a lid in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
Remove the lid carefully and let sit for five minutes then serve.
- 16 oz wide noodles
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 – 10.75 oz cans tomato soup
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 12 slices American Cheese
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large deep pan boil the noodles according to the package directions & drain.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook the onion and ground beef until the onion is tender and ground beef is no longer pink.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato soup and sugar and mix well.
- Spray a 4 quart oven safe casserole dish with cooking oil.
- Place half the noodles in the casserole dish. Top with half the hamburger mixture.
- Top with six slices of the cheese breaking them in half to fit.
- Repeat in the same order with other half of the ingredients.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top.
- Bake with a lid for 45 minutes.
- Carefully remove the lid and let sit for 5 minutes then serve.