Caramel Corn is so expensive to buy and very easy to make! I ended up with a gallon ziplock bag full of Caramel Corn and it is delicious. It does take a little bit of time to make but it is more of a hanging around and stir every now and then, nothing difficult. This would make great little snack bags or even for gift giving.
In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter with the brown sugar and corn syrup.
Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring frequently.
Once it boils continue to slow boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
(I turned my burner down just a little to slow boil)
Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda, salt and vanilla.
Pour the caramel over the popcorn and mix well until all of the popcorn is coated.
Pour the popcorn evenly onto a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake in a preheated oven at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven, stir and let cool.
Stir again after 10 minutes to break it up.
Caramel corn hardens as it cools.
Once completely cool, store in an air tight bag or container.
- 1 gallon prepared air popped popcorn
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Spray a large cooking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan melt the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup.
- Bring it to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. (I turned down the heat just a little once it boiled).
- Once it boils, continue to slow boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda, salt and vanilla.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn and toss until all of the popcorn is coated.
- Pour the popcorn evenly into the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour stirring every 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir. Let cool 10 minutes then stir again breaking up any large pieces. The caramel corn will harden as it cools.
- Once completely cool, store in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.