Oven Roasted Chicken
Try this Oven Roasted Chicken that is moist, tender and perfectly cooked with very little effort. Using my dried herbs from our garden made a wonderful combination of flavors. I baked my chicken breast side down. All the juices from the dark meat flows right into the white meat making it so flavorful and moist.
Remove the neck and gizzard from
inside the cavity and discard.
Rinse the chicken inside and out.
Using a paper towel, pat the chicken dry.
Salt and pepper the inside cavity.
Place chicken in a heavy baking dish or pan.
Using oven safe string, tie the legs
together and tie the wings tight against
the chicken. Using toothpicks, close
up the cavity with the tail.
Sprinkle paprika on the breast side
of the chicken and rub it all around.
Sprinkle dried rosemary, dried thyme,
salt and pepper over breast side.
Turn the chicken over, breast side down.
You will be cooking this breast side down.
Sprinkle the entire back side with paprika
and rub it all over. Sprinkle with dried
rosemary, dried thyme, salt and pepper.
Bake, uncovered, in a preheated
425 degree oven for 50 – 60 minutes
or until thighs are about 185 degrees and
the breast is about 175 degrees. There
should be no pink remaining on the meat.
Let the chicken sit for 15 minutes
before cutting into pieces then serve.
Oven Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before preparing
- dried rosemary
- dried thyme
I don’t measure the spices. Just sprinkle a light even coating of them all over the chicken skin on both sides of the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the neck and the gizzard from the inside cavity.
- Rinse the chicken inside and out.
- Pat the chicken completely dry with a paper towel.
- Place the chicken in a heavy dish or a pan.
- Salt and pepper the inside cavity, about 1/4 tsp each
- Using oven string, tie the legs together and tie the wings to the body.
- On the breast side, sprinkle paprika all over the chicken. Rub the paprika all over the breast side of the chicken. Sprinkle with dried rosemary, dried thyme, salt and pepper.
- Turn the chicken over, breast side down. You will be cooking this breast side down. Sprinkle with paprika and rub it all over the back side of the chicken. Sprinkle with dried rosemary, dried thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the breasts are about 175 degrees and the thighs are about 185 degrees. (Cook approximately 20 minutes per pound.) There should be no pink left on the meat.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes, then cut into pieces and serve.