Lemon & Cream Cheese Pastry
What is it about puff pastry that is so good? Throw in some cream cheese, lemon curd then top it off with a lemon glaze and it is even more amazing! You can use any flavor of pie filling you want to make this pastry. This brand of puff pastry is so easy to work with and the taste is amazing!
Source: Adapted from Real Housemoms
In a small bowl combine cream cheese,
powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
Unfold the puff pastry.
Using a rolling-pin, roll the pastry into a
rectangle that is 1/4″ thick.
Cut 1″ wide slits on 1/3 of the pastry on both
long sides leaving the middle third alone.
Spread the cream cheese mixture in the
center then top with the lemon curd.
Fold one end strip up and over the filling.
Start crisscrossing the strips at the same end.
Keep alternating until you get to the other end
of the pastry. Pull the last end piece up and
over as you place the last few strips on it.
Carefully place the pastry on a baking
sheet covered with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, make a simple egg
wash with the egg and water.
Brush the egg wash completely over the pastry.
Bake in a preheated 400 degrees oven for
20 minutes. Cool completely on the pan.
In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar
and lemon juice with a fork.
Drizzle the glaze over the pastry.
Let the glaze set then serve.
Lemon & Cream Cheese Pastry
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup lemon curd
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 – 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix the cream cheese, vanilla extract and powdered sugar until creamy.
- Unfold the puff pastry and roll it into a rectangle that is 1/4″ thick.
- Cut 1″ wide strips down the left and right long sides 1/3 of the width of the pastry leaving the middle third untouched.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture down the center of the pastry. Spread the lemon curd on top of the cream cheese.
- Fold one end of the pastry up and over the filling then take one 1″ wide strip and pull it up and over the filling inwards at a slight upward angle. Criss crossing, repeat one on the other side with another strip overlapping and repeating from the left side to the right side and so on. When you get close to the other end, pull the last piece up and over the filling then continue to cross the strips to the end.
- Carefully place the pastry onto a parchment lined cooking tray. I used two large spatulas to move it.
- Make a simple egg wash by whisking the egg and water with a fork. Brush the egg wash all over the pastry.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and lemon juice with a fork. Drizzle the glaze over the pastry. Let the glaze set up and serve.