Apple Pan Pie
For this recipe I decided to make Apple Pie in a 9″ x 13″ dish. I used pie crust for the bottom and a crumb topping on top. The results….a thick delicious pie with a golden crumb topping! It tastes amazing and makes enough for any size family or function.
Adapted from: http://www.BettyCrocker.com.
Ingredients for the filling.
Apples will turn brown right after you peel and slice them, but that’s OK, it doesn’t hurt a thing. Do not put anything on them to prevent the browning or it will change the taste.
Ingredients for crumb topping.
Using two pie crusts, roll and form them to fit into a 9” x 13” oven safe dish bringing the pie dough up the sides halfway.
Combine the apples with ingredients for the filling, mix well and pour into the baking dish on top of the pie crust. Press down on the apples so there are no gaps.
Combine crumb topping ingredients and use a pastry blender or your hands to mix until small balls form. Pour crumb topping evenly over the apples.
Sprinkle crumb topping with 1-2 Tbsp. of sugar.
Bake at 375 degrees for about one hour until golden brown and bubbly.
Apple Pan Pie
- 2 pie crusts dough – your favorite homemade or store bought
- 8 cups apples, washed-peeled-cored and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1-2 Tbsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the pie crust dough into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish forming the dough halfway up the sides.
- Combine apples and the rest of the filling ingredients. Pour the mixture into the crust, pressing down on the apples to remove any gaps.
- In a small bowl, combine the crumb ingredients using a pastry blender or your fingers until small balls form.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the top of the apples and then sprinkle the crumb topping with the 1-2 Tbsp. of sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a cooling rack.