I always seem to be the one that is asked to make deviled eggs for any get together and I really don’t mind. Don’t we all hate peeling the eggs? Keep in mind when you make these, one egg gives you two deviled eggs. So if you want a dozen deviled eggs, only hard boil 6 eggs. What I do is place my eggs in a large pan. I fill the pan with hot tap water making sure the eggs are covered by 2″ of water. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat. As soon as the water boils, set the timer to 13 minutes. Once the 13 minutes is up, remove the pan from the heat and pour as much water out of the pan as you can without the eggs falling out. Put the pan under cold running water for about 3 minutes. Drain, pat the eggs dry and put them in the refrigerator to get them cold. Once cold I peel the eggs and make my Deviled Eggs.
Lay peeled eggs on a paper towel
and pat dry making sure all of the
shell pieces are off of the egg,
With a sharp knife, slice the eggs
horizontally making sure you are cutting in
the middle so they are all the same size.
Carefully take the yolk out of the eggs
and place them in a medium bowl.
Place the egg white halves on a plate.
With a mixer, gently smash the yolks
using the beater without turning it on.
Add a pinch of salt and Miracle Whip to
your taste. I start with about 1/2 cup of
Miracle Whip and keep adding more until
it tastes good to me. Turn on the mixer and
mix until there are no lumps and the yolk
mixture is creamy. If you can’t get it this
way, add more Miracle Whip and remix.
Here are three different
ways to fill the egg white.
1. Put the yolk mixture into a Ziploc bag, cut
a small tip off one corner and gently squeeze
the yolk mixture into each egg white half.
2. Use a spoon and your finger to fill.
3. I like to use a pastry bag with a large star
tip in it for a fancy looking deviled egg.
Fill all of the egg white halves being careful
not to over fill them or you may run out
before you get to the last egg white.
If you finish with extra yolk mixture left over,
just top off the eggs you already did ….. or eat it!
With your hand about 12″ above the
filled eggs, lightly sprinkle paprika on
top of the eggs. Try not to get gobs
of paprika on the eggs, just a nice light
sprinkle of red. Keep refrigerated
until ready to serve.
- 10 cold hard-boiled eggs (will make 20 deviled eggs)
- Miracle Whip or mayonnaise (to taste)
- pinch of salt
- paprika for garnish
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs.
- Slice them in half lengthwise. Place the yolks in a bowl. Place egg white halves on a plate with hole facing up.
- With a mixer, mix the yolks, salt and miracle whip (or mayonnaise) until creamy and no lumps remain. I start with 1/2 cup of Miracle Whip and keep adding more until I get the taste and consistency I want.
- Fill the eggs using either a spoon or a bag with the tip cut off. I use a pastry bag with large star tip.
- Lightly sprinkle paprika on top of each egg.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.