I know it is warm outside and not really soup weather, however, this soup needs to be made when the asparagus grows in our garden………..when it’s free! It is the best tasting Asparagus Soup I have ever tasted and I make it every year. I tore this recipe out of a magazine years ago and have modified it into this recipe. It is delicious hot or cold. I freeze the soup in single serving containers so that I can enjoy this all year long. Once frozen, all I have to do is thaw it in the microwave, whisk and repeat until it is hot. It tastes like it was just made fresh. I have used it up to a year old and it still tastes delicious! Eight ingredients for this delicious soup!
Start by washing a bunch of asparagus.
Hold the bottom and the middle of each piece of asparagus.
Gently bend and where it snaps, you use the top section.
Now this doesn’t mean you have to waste the bottom section.
It only means the bottom section has a tougher skin.
Use your vegetable peeler and peel off that tough skin and
then you can use the stalk however you want.
I’m just spoiled with having a big asparagus bed and my
husband doesn’t like asparagus so I throw away the bottom section.
Now, if I had to pay for asparagus, I would use all of it!
Using a sharp knife, cut off the tips.
Cut the top sections into 1/2″ pieces.
If you are not going to be freezing the soup, set the tips aside.
If you are freezing your soup, throw them in the pan too.
Melt butter in a large heavy bottom pan.
Add onion and asparagus and cook on medium heat
for about 5 minutes or until onion starts to get tender.
Add salt, pepper, chicken broth and potato and bring to a boil.
Turn to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender.
Using an immersion blender or food processor,
blend the soup until there are no more chunks left.
Simmer another 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
Add the heavy cream and using a large spoon, stir until thoroughly combined.
Add 1 Tbl water to a small bowl along with the asparagus tips.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high for one minute.
Ladle soup into bowls and add asparagus tips to each bowl.
- 4 cups 1/2″ pieces of asparagus
- 4 Tbl butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 – 14 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Wash asparagus, cut off the tips and set tips aside.
- Snap asparagus in two by holding the bottom and middle of each piece. Save the top pieces and cut into 1/2″ pieces.
- Cut asparagus until you have about 4 cups. If you find you need more asparagus, peel the tough skin off of the bottom pieces you snapped off and use them.
- In a large heavy bottom pan, melt butter. Add onions and asparagus. Cook over medium heat until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, potato, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer until potato is tender.
- Using an immersion blender or food processor, blend until smooth. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour heavy whipping cream into the soup and stir with a large spoon.
- Place asparagus tips and 1 Tbl water into a small bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Ladle soup into the serving bowls and add asparagus tips to each bowl.