Shepherd’s Pie – Version 3
My simple Shepherd’s Pie is made with ground beef, corn, soup, sauce and seasonings then topped with mashed potatoes and it was delicious. I made the entire Shepherd’s Pie in my cast iron pan. If you don’t have a cast iron pan, it can be made in a skillet and transferred to a oven safe dish.
In a large cast iron pan, or skillet, cook
the ground beef and onion over medium
heat until no pink remains and the
onions are tender, drain and
discard the grease.
Stir in the corn.
Salt and pepper to taste then stir.
Add the soup and tomato sauce.
Stir to combine then simmer until nice
and thick. If you aren’t using a cast
iron pan, transfer the mixture to
an oven safe dish once thick.
Spread your prepared mashed potatoes
over the top the best you can.
Bake in a preheated 425º oven
for 10 minutes. Switch the oven to
broil and continue broiling until
golden brown on the edges
watching it carefully so it
doesn’t burn, I browned
mine on the middle shelf.
Let sit for 5 minutes then serve.
Shepherd's Pie - Version 3
- 1# ground beef, chicken or turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups corn, I used frozen
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 – 10.75 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a 10” cast iron pan or a skillet, cook the ground beef with the onion over medium heat until no pink remains and the onion is tender. Drain and discard any grease.
- Add the corn, salt and pepper then stir.
- Add the soup and tomato sauce then stir to combine. Simmer until the mixture is nice and thick, stirring frequently. If you aren’t using a cast iron pan, transfer the ground beef mixture to an oven safe dish now.
- Spread the mashed potatoes completely over the top of the meat ingredients.
- Bake for 10 minutes on the middle shelf. Turn the oven to broil and continue to cook on the middle shelf until the top gets golden brown on the edge with some brown spots in the middle. Watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes then serve.