It’s Zucchini season and what better way to use them up than with a Zucchini Casserole. Zucchini combined with half a pound of cheese, onions, mushrooms, eggs, butter and Ritz Crackers baked in the oven for a fabulous side dish or even meal.
Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan.
Add the prepared zucchini and
simmer until tender.
In a large skillet add the butter and onions.
Cook over medium heat until the onions are tender.
Crush the Ritz Crackers.
Using a fork whisk the eggs.
Using a hand potato masher, mash the zucchini.
Add the cooked onion, mushrooms
and eggs then toss to combine.
Add the cheese.
Toss until the cheese melts.
Add the cracker crumbs and toss to combine.
Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking oil.
Pour the zucchini mixture
into the casserole dish.
Garnish with paprika, optional.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for
35 – 40 minutes or until set then serve.
- 2 pounds unpeeled zucchini (rinsed and chopped into 1″ cubes)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 stick butter (4 Tbsp.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 – 4 oz. can mushrooms, stems & pieces
- 10 Ritz Crackers
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- paprika for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot over high heat, bring water to a boil. Add prepared zucchini and simmer until tender then drain.
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and cook the diced onion until tender, set aside.
- Crush the Ritz Crackers, set aside.
- Using a fork whisk the eggs, set aside.
- Using a hand potato masher (or fork), mash the zucchini.
- Add the cooked onion with butter, mushrooms and eggs tossing to combine.
- Add the cheese and toss until the cheese melts.
- Add the cracker crumbs tossing to combine.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking oil.
- Pour the zucchini mixture into the casserole dish. Garnish with paprika.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until set then serve.