Strawberry Puff Pastry Braid
Two Puff Pastry filled with a cream cheese mixture, fresh strawberries then topped with a sprinkle of sugar and a drizzle of lemon flavored icing.
Adapted From: Marcela Valladolid
Rinse, cut off the tops and
slice the strawberries.
In a medium bowl add the cream
cheese and sour cream.
Mix on medium speed until
creamy then add the sugar.
Mix until creamy and no
lumps remain, set aside.
In a small bowl whisk the egg
and water with a fork.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Flour a clean and dry surface.
Unfold both puff pastry sheets
and lightly flour the tops.
Roll each pastry to about 14″ x 12″.
Spread half of the cream cheese mixture down
the center of each pastry dough lengthwise. Place
half of the strawberries on top of each pastry dough.
Cut 1″ slits on both sides of the dough
stopping about 1/2″ from the cream cheese.
Fold the end pieces up over the
strawberries. Then fold the strips
over the strawberries diagonally,
alternating sides to give it a braided look.
Using a large spatula place both braids on
the parchment paper on the baking pan
and lightly brush with the egg mixture. Brush
egg under each strip end to help glue it together.
Sprinkle with a coarse sugar.
Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for
30 minutes or until golden brown.
In a small bowl add the powdered
sugar and enough lemon juice to
make a drizzling consistency.
Stir with a spoon until smooth and creamy.
After cool drizzle icing over the
top of each braid then serve.
Strawberry Puff Pastry Braid
- 1 – 8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 – Tbsp. sour cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 – 17.3 oz. package 2 frozen puff pastry, thawed
- all purpose flour for dusting
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- sugar for garnish
- 1 cup powdered sugar (approximately)
- lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut off the stem end of the strawberries, rinse, slice and set aside.
- Add the cream cheese and sour cream to a bowl. Using a mixer on medium speed, mix until combined.
- Add 1/3 cup of granulated sugar to the cream cheese and mix well. It should be creamy with no lumps then set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg and water together with a fork then set aside.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour a clean flat surface.
- Unfold both puff pastry sheets, lightly flour the tops and roll each one into approximately 14″ x 12″.
- Spread half the cream cheese mixture in the center, lengthwise, on each pastry.
- Place half of the strawberries on top of each of the cream cheese.
- Cut 1″ wide strips into the sides of each pastry stopping 1/2″ before the cream cheese.
- Fold the ends up and over the strawberries. Take each strip of dough and pull it up and over the strawberries diagonally, crisscrossing from right to left until you reach the end. Cover as much of the strawberries as you can.
- Using two spatulas, move the pastries to the prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly brush both pastries with the egg. I like to brush under each end of the strips as it helps glue them together.
- Sprinkle with a coarse sugar (like you use when decorating cookies).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown, let cool.
- In a small bowl add the powdered sugar and enough lemon juice to make an icing with the consistency to be able to drizzle it on top of the pastries.
- Let icing set then serve.