Baked Mozzarella Sticks
A delicious Mozzarella Stick that is rolled in flour, egg and seasoned bread crumbs. These are made with string cheese and they are baked, not fried. They are frozen before baking so you can take out whatever amount you want and bake the rest another time. Serve these with marinara sauce, ranch dressing or like we do pizza sauce.
Remove the string cheese from
the plastic and cut in half. Freeze
until completely frozen, 30 – 60 minutes.
In a small bowl toss the
bread crumbs and seasonings.
In a small bowl add the flour.
In a small bowl whisk the egg with a fork.
Spray a large baking sheet with cooking oil.
Roll the frozen cheese into the
flour, shaking off any excess.
Then roll it into the whisked egg.
Quickly place into the breadcrumbs
and roll until completely coated.
Place the cheese sticks onto the sprayed
baking sheet keeping them apart. Place
the baking sheet into the freezer until the
cheese is completely frozen. I didn’t let mine
freeze solid enough which resulted in taking
them out of the oven sooner and they didn’t get
as golden brown but they sure were good!
Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for
4 – 5 minutes then turn them over. Bake
another 4 – 5 minutes watching them
carefully. If the cheese starts to ooze out take
them out. Serve immediately with marinara
sauce, ranch dressing or pizza sauce.
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- 12 sticks mozzarella string cheese
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- marinara sauce, ranch dressing or pizza sauce for dipping
- Remove the string cheese from the plastic wrappers and cut in half.
- Freeze the cheese until frozen about 30 – 60 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs and the seasonings.
- In another small bowl add the flour.
- In a third small bowl whisk the egg well with a fork.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking oil.
- Roll the frozen cheese into the flour, shaking off any excess flour.
- Roll the cheese into the egg.
- Quickly roll the cheese into the bread crumbs making sure they are completely covered.
- Place them onto the prepared baking sheet making sure they do not touch.
- Place the pan into the freezer until the cheese is frozen solid. If they are not solid the cheese will ooze out before the breading is browned.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake the frozen cheese for 4 – 5 minutes. Turn them over and bake another 4 – 5 minutes. Watch them carefully after you turn them. If the cheese starts to ooze out remove them from the oven.
- Serve immediately with marinara sauce, ranch dressing or like we do with pizza sauce.