Brats & Sausage Cooked With The Stove
Do you love grilled Bratwurst and Smoked Sausage but either don’t have a grill or the weather is bad and you can’t use it? I made these delicious Brats and German Smoked Sausage completely with my stove and if I didn’t tell anyone they never would have guessed that I didn’t use a grill. Make sure you do not break the skin when handling these delicious brats and Sausage. Use tongs and do not poke with a fork. The only reason I like the grill better is because my husband cooks and there are less dishes!
The Sausage are Smoked German Sausage. Since they are smoked they are already cooked. All I do is:
- Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil to a skillet.
- Add the sausage and cook over medium heat until golden brown. Don’t over cook them or they will burn and dry out. The secret to them turning out perfect is watching them constantly and keep turning them until they are completely golden brown.
- When done place them on a paper towel lined plate, patting the olive oil off, then serve.
The Bratwurst are not cooked so here is how I cook mine:
- I start by placing them into a deep pot of hot water, completely covering them with the water. I bring the water to a boil then turn to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Simmer with a lid for 25 -30 minutes then place them on a paper towel covered plate.
- Turn the oven to broil.
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray the foil with cooking oil.
- Place the brats on the foil and broil on the second rack from the top until the brats are golden brown. Turn the brats over with tongs (do not break the skin) and broil the other side until golden brown. Again, the secret to perfect brats is to watch them constantly when broiling and turn or remove them as soon as they are golden brown then serve.