One Pan Italian Sausage & Pasta
A simple One Pan meal that can be made with Hot Italian Sausage, like I did, or Mild Italian Sausage. This is a hearty dish that is tomato based with fresh herbs and topped with Mozzarella cheese. Although I picked my herbs fresh from my garden you can use dried herbs if you don’t have fresh. Using the Italian Sausage with the herbs gave this a wonderful flavor.
In a large frying pan add the onion, garlic
and Italian Sausage cooking over medium
heat (remove meat from casing if using links).
Cook until the onion is tender and
the sausage has no pink remaining.
Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste,
water, mushrooms, basil and oregano.
Stir until completely combined. Salt to taste.
Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Add the pasta and stir. Reduce heat to
medium low and cover the pan. Simmer
for 15 minutes until pasta is tender.
Remove the lid and place pasta into an oven
safe serving bowl. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Melt the cheese by placing the bowl into the
microwave for a couple minutes or under a broiler.
Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
One Pan Italian Sausage & Pasta
- 1 pound Italian Sausage, hot or mild (removed from the casing if sausage links)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- salt to taste
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 6.5 oz can mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups dry rotini pasta
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese (or more)
- In a large frying pan over medium heat cook the onion, garlic and sausage until the onion is tender and the sausage is no longer pink.
- Add the water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, mushrooms, basil and oregano. Stir until completely combined. Salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add the pasta, stir and put on a lid.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and place pasta meal into an oven safe serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with cheese and place in the microwave for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted or place under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve.
Categories: Cheese, Pasta, Pork/Ham, Spices/Seasoning, Vegetables/Slaws/Salads
Looks delicious ,will definitely try it , will be using spaghetti instead hope I can make justice to this beautiful dish.
Absolutely you will! Any type of pasta will work with this recipe…enjoy!
Almost looks like a pizza! Ideas… 🤔😊
It’s that yummy Hot Italian Sausage. I can eat this stuff every week! Thanks!
I love swapping Italian sausage for other meat products in sauces like this. Instant flavor!
OMG you too? I love putting it in just about anything. Now I am hooked on the “Hot” Italian sausage!
That looks great! So simple too and perfect for a midweek supper.
Thank you Chris! If you love sausage and pasta you’ll love this one.
Looks delicious! I think I’ll try this one – and I might not wait for my basil to grow in my garden. It’s off to a slow start this year.
This recipe looks amazing, thanks for sharing
You are so welcome!
I have two words for this: scrump and tious!
Hahaha You always make me laugh Matt! Thanks!
That’s my job–or it would be if anyone bothered to pay me for it. 😉
I Love one pan dishes like this! Thank you!!
Have you noticed I post a lot of them…lol
Yes!! I have noticed! Which is part of why I follow you. Besides the fact that you’re just fun! 😉
You are just too sweet Sue! Thank you! ❤
As part of my kitchen cleanout, I went through my recipe file tonight. My recipe files were a mess, all just thrown in a box and drawer, so I organized them into into recipes I have tried and liked, recipes I might like to try, and Diane’s recipes I have printed and intend to try. See you have your own personal file now!
Aw I feel so humbled! Now I hope you love them as much as we do! Thank you for such a nice comment Joni!
Looks and tastes just as delicious.
This looks really good!
Thanks Laci! 💕
Why does all Italian food always look so mouth watering?
Because it is! 🤣😂🤣😂
this looks like something I might be able to make!
Definitely you can it was a very simple yet delicious meal!
I made this today…can’t wait to try it
Great! I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.
Thank you Jess!