Wow this turned out fabulous! Tortilla’s with layered taco flavored ground beef, salsa, cheese, taco sauce and refried beans …….Yum! You can make this in an 8” or 10” cast iron pan but you can also use any oven safe dish that is about the size of the tortilla like a 4 quart casserole dish.
In a large frying pan, cook ground beef
over medium heat until no pink
remains then drain the grease.
Add the taco seasoning and taco sauce.
Mix well then stir for 1 minute
and remove from the heat.
Spray a 4 qt casserole pan or an 8” or
10” cast iron pan with cooking oil.
I used a 10” cast iron pan.
Place one tortilla flat in the pan.
Spread half of the salsa over the tortilla.
Spread half of the refried beans over
the salsa. I put the beans into a bowl
and stirred them with a spoon to
make them easier to spread.
Add half of the ground beef mixture.
Add half of the cheese.
Now repeat – tortilla, salsa, refried
beans, ground beef and cheese
(only add 1/2 cup cheese saving the
other 1/2 cup for later).
Cover with a lid or foil and bake in a
preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and
add 1/2 cup of remaining cheese. Place
the pan back into the oven, uncovered,
for 3 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Remove from the oven and add the
green onion and diced tomato.
Slice and serve.
- 1# ground beef
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 3 large flour tortilla’s
- 16 oz. thick and chunky salsa
- 16 oz. can refried beans
- 2 cups shredded cheese (your favorite)
- 1 small tomato, seeds removed and diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook ground beef until no pink remains. Drain the grease.
- Add the taco seasoning and taco sauce stirring until completely combined. Continue to cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Spray an 8 or 10 inch cast iron pan or a 4 quart casserole dish with cooking oil.
- Lay one tortilla in the pan. Place half of the salsa evenly over the tortilla.
- Spread half of the refried beans on top, then half of the ground beef and half of the cheese.
- Repeat but this time only use 1/4 cup of the cheese saving the last 1/4 cup of cheese for later. Top the mixture with the last tortilla.
- Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the last 1/4 cup of cheese evenly over the top. Place back into the oven, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and add the green onions and tomatoes.
- Slice and serve.