Mock Chicken Legs
Mock Chicken is made from ground pork and ground veal that is formed onto a popsicle stick, coated with cornflake crumbs, browned and baked in the oven. We found this to be absolutely delicious!
Adapted from Jeanne Herda
Using a food processor or equivalent,
pulse the cornflakes into crumbs.
In a large bowl add one egg, 1/2 cup
of cornflake crumbs, 1/4 cup
of milk, salt and pepper.
Stir well to combine.
Add both of the ground meat
and mix well with your hands.
Place waxed paper on a large baking
sheet. Form about 1/4 cup of the meat
onto a popsicle stick, in a log form and
about 3″ long, then lay the leg on the
Cover with another sheet of waxed
paper and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl, whisk together
one egg and 1/4 cup milk.
Pour the remaining cornflake crumbs
into a shallow bowl and roll each leg
into the crumbs, pressing the crumbs
into the meat, slightly, with your hands.
Pour the milk and egg mixture into
a shallow bowl. Roll the crumb
coated leg into the egg mixture.
Roll the legs back into the cornflake
crumbs a second time.
Place the legs onto a large, waxed
covered, baking sheet. Let legs
sit for 5 minutes.
Spray a large baking dish, such
as a 9″ x 13″, with cooking oil.
In a large skillet, heat about 1/4″ oil to
375 degrees. Add the legs a few at a
time, cooking for 1 minute on each
side or until golden brown.
Remove legs and place on paper
towels to remove excess oil.
Arrange the legs on a large ungreased
baking sheet. Bake in a preheated
375 degree oven or until the internal
temperature is 165 degrees and no
pink remains, about 15-20 minutes.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Mock Chicken Legs
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 12 popsicle sticks
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups cornflake crumbs
- oil for frying
- Crush the cornflakes or pulse in a food processor.
- In a large bowl add one egg, 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs, 1/4 cup milk, salt and pepper then stir well.
- Add both of the ground meat to the bowl and mix well with your hands.
- Line a large baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Form about 1/4 cup of the meat mixture onto each popsicle stick in the shape of a log and about 3″ long. Lay the legs on the pan without touching each other. Cover with another sheet of waxed paper and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together one egg and 1/4 cup of milk. Pour into a shallow bowl.
- Pour the remaining cornflakes into another shallow bowl. Roll each leg into the cornflake crumbs, pressing the crumbs slightly into the meat using your hands.
- Roll the leg into the egg mixture and then roll the leg back into the crumbs again.
- Cover a large baking sheet with waxed paper, place the coated legs on the pan and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with cooking oil and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat about 1/4″ oil to 375 degrees. Add the legs a few at a time and cook for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown.
- Transfer the legs to a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the oil.
- Place the legs on a large, ungreased, baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until no pink remains and the internal temperature is 165 degrees then serve.