Cheesy Chicken Macaroni & Cheese
Using up leftover oven roasted chicken, two partial boxes of different size shell pasta and Ritz Crackers is what made me come up with this recipe. I wanted a quick, easy and cheesy meal and this fit the bill. This makes a family size meal and is definitely a stick to your ribs comfort food kind of meal.
Spray a 4 quart oven safe
casserole dish with cooking oil.
Cook the pasta according
to package directions.
Drain and return to the hot pan.
While the pasta is cooking, add
one Tbsp of butter to a small pan
with the diced onion. Cook over
medium heat until onions are tender.
Place the Ritz Crackers into a bag
and crush them with your hands.
Pour the crumbs into a small bowl
and add one Tbsp of melted butter.
Mix the butter into the crumbs using
your fingers or a fork and set aside.
To the cooked, drained pasta add
the rest of the ingredients except
the cracker crumbs. Using a large
spoon, gently mix the ingredients
until well combined.
Pour mixture into the
prepared casserole dish.
Sprinkle the cracker crumb
mixture evenly over the top.
Bake in a 350 degree oven, uncovered,
for 20 minutes or until the crackers
are a golden brown.
Place in serving bowls and enjoy!
Cheesy Chicken Macaroni & Cheese
- 1# pasta (I used shells)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 – 10.5 oz. cans cream of chicken soup (you can use 3 cans if you want it wetter)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sleeve Ritz Crackers
- 2 Tbsp butter, split in half
- 2 cups cooked and diced chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 4 quart oven safe casserole dish with cooking oil.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and place the pasta back into the hot pan.
- While the pasta cooks, place 1 Tbsp butter into a small pan. Melt the butter over medium heat and add the onion cooking until the onion is tender. Remove from burner and set aside.
- Place the crackers into a plastic bag. Crush them with your hands. Pour the crumbs into a small bowl. Pour 1 Tbsp melted butter over the top and mix with your fingers or a fork and set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients to the pasta except the cracker mixture. Using a large spoon, gently toss until combined.
- Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the cracker mixture evenly over the pasta mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the crackers are a golden brown.
- Place in serving bowls and enjoy.
Categories: Casseroles, Cheese, Chicken, Pasta
Chicken and cheese! Can’t get much better!
You had me at “leftover” and “cheese”!
hahaha I will at leftover any day! Thanks krcc!
recipe looks absolutely heavenly soulful. I hope you will soon visit & like my official facebook page too https://www.facebook.com/amazingshining
looks very yummy 😋😋
Thank you it is nice and cheesy!
I have had mac and cheese. But never with chicken…
So, that’s something I’m eager to try!
This was the first time I tried this and it made the chicken taste so good! Thanks Jess!
Oh! Glad to know I wasn’t the only one! You’re welcome!
Me too. Never with Ritz crackers too.
Oh, that looks and sounds so good. Hugs
Comfort food…lol Thank you!
I top mine with Ritz crackers, too! They make the best topping, don’t they? I like the bit of green on yours. 😀
Thanks Jennifer! This was the first time I used Ritz Crackers and did it taste great!
This is so tempting!
Definitely a stick to your ribs recipe…lol
ooohhh.. I think I can convert this to gluten free easily enough.
Saving this link.
I love, love, love mac and cheese – such a comfort food in the Winter … with rice pudding (with lots of raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg) for dessert.
Oh yes that is exactly how I love my rice pudding too!
Yes, and warm rice pudding is just to die for.
I love how you were able to use some leftovers! Looks awesome! 💕 💕 💕
Thanks Bernice! Leftovers are almost like a free meal.
I so agree! Love leftovers!
Oh yum yum!
mmm. . . this looks wonderful. And, I like how easy it is to make.
Thank you Sheryl!
This recipe looks so delicious….m definitely going to try it today!
If you like cheesy you will like this one. Enjoy and thank you!
Thanks for these “Easy” recipes!
This looks so yummy! I shared it to my Twitter!
Thank you so much!
Yasssss!!! I love mac and cheese I’ll have to try this someday looks so easy! 😀