My husband bought couscous at the store and said maybe I could make something with it for my blog. Well little did he know I would surprise him with a recipe he went nuts over. I do not like green pepper and I can’t stand the smell when it cooks so I never make anything with it. My husband told me it tasted similar to a delicious omelette and that he definitely wants it again!
If you don’t know what Couscous is, it is a type of pasta. It is made with crushed durum wheat semolina instead of ground durum wheat semolina which means it has more fiber and nutrients like manganese, tryptophan and magnesium than regular pasta. Couscous can also be added to soups or stews.
Adapted from http://www.cookingandcooking.com
Bring the water to a boil in a
medium pan and over medium heat.
Once boiling, remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
Add the couscous, stir with a fork and cover immediately.
Let couscous sit on a hot pad, covered, for 15 minutes.
Remove the lid, fluff with a fork and set aside.
In a large frying pan over medium
heat, add 1 Tbsp oil, peppers,
garlic and onion.
Stirring frequently, sauté
for about 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and pour into a
medium bowl along with all of the
rest of the ingredients.
Stir to combine.
In the same large frying pan over
medium heat, add 3 Tbsp oil until hot.
Scoop up 1/3 cup of the mixture
and place it into the hot pan.
Press lightly with a spatula
making the pancake about 1/2” thick.
Fry for about 3-4 minutes or until
the pancake is nicely browned.
Turn over and fry until brown.
Place on a paper towel, blot the top
with a paper towel and discard paper towel.
Place on a plate and serve.
(Makes 8 pancakes)
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 & 1/4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced thin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs, slightly mixed with a fork
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- In a medium pot over medium heat, bring the water to a boil.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the couscous. Stir with a fork and quickly cover the pan. Set aside and keep covered for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp of oil and cook until hot. Add the peppers, garlic and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and add the mixture to a medium bowl. Add all the rest of the ingredients to the same bowl, stirring to combine.
- In the same frying pan, add 3 Tbsp of oil and heat over medium heat.
- Scoop out 1/3 cup of the couscous mixture and place it in the hot pan in a clump.
- Press pancakes lightly with a spatula so the pancakes are about 1/2″ thick.
- Fry for 3 minutes or until a golden brown. Turn over and fry the other side until brown.
- Place pancakes on a plate covered with a paper towel. Take another paper towel and blot the top. Discard the paper towels.
- Remove pancakes to a serving plate and enjoy!