This recipe is so much fun to make. Don’t let the word Torte scare you because it is a very simple recipe! This recipe is from many, many years ago and it turned out exactly like it was supposed to. It uses basic ingredients and tastes so delicious!
Source: Marian Burros
Wash the plums and let them dry.
Cut them in half lengthwise, discarding the pit.
In a medium bowl add butter and sugar.
Cream them with the back of a
large spoon until combined.
Add flour, baking powder, eggs and
mix until completely combined.
Grease or spray a springform pan (8”, 9” or 10”).
I greased mine with my homemade
Non Stick Pan Coating Recipe.
Spoon the batter into the bottom of the pan.
Place the plum halves, skin side up, on top of the batter.
Sprinkle with the cinnamon.
Sprinkle with the lemon juice.
Sprinkle with the sugar.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven
for 45 – 60 minutes depending on which
size springform pan you use. I used a 9” pan
and it was done at 53 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
Run a rubber spatula around the inside of the pan.
Release and remove the side of the pan but leave the bottom in place.
Slice and serve. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cups (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 12-14 purple plums
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease or spray a 8”, 9” or 10” springform pan. I used my Non Stick Pan Coating Recipe on my pan. The link to that recipe is: https://indianeskitchen.com/2018/08/30/non-stick-pan-coating-recipe
- Wash and dry the plums then slice them in half lengthwise, discarding the pit.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter with the 1 cup of sugar.
- Add the flour, baking powder, eggs and stir until completely combined.
- Spoon the batter into the bottom of the pan.
- Place the plum halves, skin side up, on top of the batter.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes depending on which size pan you used. I used a 9″ pan and mine was done at 53 minutes. The top will be a golden brown when done.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes then run a rubber spatula along the entire inside of the pan.
- Release and remove the side of the pan, leaving the bottom in place.