Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
Whenever I eat at a Chinese buffet I always get the General Tso’s Chicken. It is one of my favorite kinds of chicken. I was excited when I found this recipe tucked away on my iPad so I decided to give it a try. It was different from other recipes I have tried. I wish I could remember where I found this recipe from, to give them credit, but I did change it a bit.
I love slow cooker recipes and I had a lot of appointments this day so I made this before I left and it was ready when I got home…..just four hours! We both loved how it turned out and I have enough leftover for lunch tomorrow!
Whisk together the corn starch,
salt, garlic powder and pepper.
Place the chicken pieces in a bag.
Pour the cornstarch mixture
into the chicken bag.
Shake the bag, coating all of the chicken.
In a large nonstick frying pan, heat
the oil over medium heat. Add the entire
contents of the chicken bag to the pan.
Fry until the outside of the chicken starts
to turn light brown but not cooked through.
Place the chicken into the slow cooker on low.
In a small bowl combine all of
the sauce ingredients.
Whisk it and divide it in two.
Pour half of the sauce into the slow cooker
gently stirring the sauce into the chicken
pieces. Cook on low for four hours.
Refrigerate the other half of the sauce.
Pour the rest of the sauce onto the
chicken, gently stir and serve.
Slow Cooker General Tso's Chicken
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Tbsp oil (your choice of the type)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp. hoisin sauce (found in the Asian section of the grocery store)
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oil in a non stick fry pan over medium heat.
- Whisk together the cornstarch, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the chicken pieces into a large plastic bag.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the chicken bag.
- Shake the bag until all of the flour coats the chicken pieces.
- Pour the entire bag of chicken into the frying pan and fry until lightly brown but not cooked through.
- Place the chicken into the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients, whisking to combine.
- Divide the sauce in two. Pour half of it into the slow cooker and gently mix coating the chicken. Put the other half of the sauce in the refrigerator.
- Cook on low for four hours or until the chicken is done. Pour the remaining sauce over the chicken and gently mix just before serving.