I have been making these sliced cookies filled with jam and topped with lemon frosting for years. This recipe was given to me at my wedding shower many, many years ago. The guests were asked to write on a recipe card with their favorite recipe. This quickly became one of my favorites too. They look elegant, taste great and are easier than making a batch of cookies. Anyone new at baking, or if you have been baking for years, will love how they will turn out.
In a large bowl cream 1/2 cup butter, softened. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/8 tsp salt mixing until fluffy. Gradually stir in 1-1/4 cups flour until blended. Divide the dough into 3 pieces. On a lightly floured surface using your hands, roll each section of dough into a 9″ rope. On lightly greased cookie sheet place the three ropes so they are not touching. With your finger make a 1/2″ depression down the center of the rope. Fill the depression with your favorite jam. When I make this for a function, I like to use a different jam for each rope giving me three different cookies from one batch.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Completely cool on the cookie sheet. In a small bowl, blend 3/4 cup powdered sugar with 4 tsp lemon juice, blending until smooth and a drizzle consistency. Add more powdered sugar or lemon juice if it’s not a good consistency. Drizzle over the cooled cookies.
***The picture below is a double recipe. One recipe will make 3 ropes.***
Let the icing set then slice them with a thin sharp knife making a diagonal cut in 1″ pieces. Keep in mind that the ends don’t have much jam in them so you will need to taste test them! Makes about 24 cookies.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1-1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup jam
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, salt and vanilla until fluffy.
- Gradually stir in the flour until combined.
- Divide dough into three balls. On a lightly floured surface roll each ball with your hands into a 9″ rope.
- Place the ropes on a lightly greased cookie sheet keeping them apart.
- With your finger, make a 1/2″ depression down the center of each rope. Fill the depression with your favorite jam.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cool completely on the cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add more powdered sugar or lemon juice to get the right consistency and drizzle over the cookies. Let icing dry completely.
- Using a sharp thin knife, slice the cookies diagonally. Keep cookies flat and store covered in plastic wrap or an air tight container.
***The picture is a double batch. A single batch makes 3 ropes.***