Birds Nest Breakfast Cups
Hash browns and cheese pressed into a muffin tin, filled with an egg, topped with bacon, sausage or cheese then baked in the oven for a delicious and simple breakfast! These may not look like a picture from a magazine but my gosh were they easy and we loved the way they tasted. I even ate them as leftovers the next day. I microwaved them for 1 – 2 minutes and they were still fantastic. I will definitely be making these again.
In a large bowl add the hash browns,
cheese, oil, salt and pepper.
Toss with you hands until combined.
Spray a 12 cup muffin pan
liberally with cooking oil.
Divide the hash brown mixture evenly
between the 12 cups. I used an ice
cream scoop to make it easier.
Using your fingers, press the mixture
against the sides and bottom forming
the shape of a nest.
Generously spray the hash
browns with cooking oil.
Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for
20 – 25 minutes until the hash browns are
golden brown on the edge. Keep a close eye
on them so they don’t burn. Let hash browns
cool for 15 minutes on a cooling rack.
Reduce the oven to 425 degrees.
Crack an egg into each nest
trying not to break the yolk.
Optional: Place small pieces of cooked
bacon on top. You can use small pieces of
cooked sausage or cheese if you want or
just use the egg without a topping.
Bake for 12 minutes or until the egg
whites are set and the yolk is to your
desired doneness. I added more salt and
pepper to the top but that is optional.
Use a fork and release the egg
nests from the pan then serve.
Birds Nest Breakfast Cups
- 16 oz. frozen hash browns, thawed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 large eggs
- spray cooking oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Optional: Cooked bacon bits, cooked sausage or extra cheese for the top
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl add the hash browns, cheese, oil, salt and pepper. Toss with your hands until combined.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan liberally with cooking oil.
- Divide the hash brown mixture between the 12 muffin cups evenly. I did this using an ice cream scoop as it made it easier.
- Using your fingers press the hash browns onto the bottom and sides of the muffin cups so it looks like the shape of a nest.
- Generously spray the hash browns with cooking oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the hash browns are a golden brown on the edge. Watch them carefully the last couple of minutes so they do not burn.
- Place the pan on a rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Crack one egg into each nest trying not to break the yolks.
- Optional: Sprinkle the top of the egg lightly with cheese, cooked bacon pieces or cooked sausage.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the egg whites are set and the yolk is to your desired doneness.
- Using a fork, release the nest from the pan then serve.