Hearty one pot Shepherd’s Pie has been around forever. Ground beef with vegetables and topped with delicious mashed potatoes makes this a complete meal. The next time you make mashed potatoes, make extra and add them to your Shepherd’s Pie for your next meal. I like a lot of mashed potatoes so I make a fresh batch of mashed potatoes just before I put this together. I like to cook my Shepherd’s Pie in my 10” cast iron pan that can go from the burner straight into the oven, however, you can bake this in a 3 quart casserole dish as well.
Add the onion and ground beef to a
large frying pan over medium heat.
Fry the ground beef and onion until no pink
remains and onion is tender. Drain grease
and add the salt and pepper.
Add the tomato sauce,
crushed tomatoes and vegetables.
Stir and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently.
Continue to simmer, stirring frequently,
until thick and vegetables are cooked.
This won’t take very long.
If you are using an oven safe frying
pan, add the mashed potatoes to the top.
Otherwise, pour the hamburger mixture
into an 3 quart casserole dish and
cover with the mashed potatoes.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven
for 20 minutes until heated through
and the edge starts to brown.
Remove from the oven and using a spatula
divide into serving size pieces and serve.
- 1# ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 15 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 12 oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add the ground beef and onion. Cook until ground beef is no longer pink and the onions are tender. Drain grease and add the salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and vegetables.
- Stir frequently and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the vegetables are tender and the mixture is thick.
- If you are using an oven safe frying pan, (I use my cast iron pan) add the potatoes on top. If you are not using an oven safe frying pan, pour hamburger mixture into a 3 quart casserole dish and add the potatoes to the top. Smooth the mashed potatoes out evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes until hot or until the edge starts to brown.
- Remove from the oven and using a spatula divide into serving size pieces and serve.