Salsa & Pico de Gallo
Who doesn’t love a great tasting salsa or Pico de Gallo! I had a lot of trial and error getting this recipe to where I liked it. You can eat it just like this for Pico de Gallo or cook it on top of the stove until the vegetables are tender, like I do, for salsa. Either way, it is a great combination of flavors.
Most people would use a food processor to make this. I didn’t like how my food processor chopped things up. Believe it or not I have one of the hand crank “As seen on TV” food choppers and I love it for making salsa. I found that I could chop my salsa exactly the way I wanted with this gadget. The only reason I bought this food chopper is for Salsa and it works perfectly!
Did you ever wonder what is the difference between the two? The only difference is that with Pico de Gallo the vegetables are chopped and you can see each vegetable in the bowl. With Salsa, it is chopped more and it is more of a liquid. For me, salsa is when the vegetables have been cooked until tender and then cooled and served.
Add the garlic, onion, green pepper, jalapeño, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper to a food chopper, food processor or just cut everything with a knife.
Chop them until the vegetables are the size you want.
Add the tomatoes.
Chop again until the tomatoes are how you want them.
Pour into a bowl and serve as Pico de Gallo
and refrigerate leftovers.
To make it into Salsa:
Pour the salsa into a medium saucepan.
Simmer over medium heat, uncovered, until the vegetables are cooked through
and until the liquid evaporates to the thickness you like.
Refrigerate then serve.
Either way you make this, it is sure to please!
Salsa & Pico de Gallo
- 1 large clove garlic, diced small
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, diced and seeds removed unless you like it really hot.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 Tbsp dried cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 green pepper, discard the seeds and chopped
- 7-8 Italian tomatoes, diced with tops removed
- Add the garlic, onion, green pepper, jalapeno pepper, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper to a food chopper, food processor or just cut everything by hand with a knife.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the food chopper and chop until the vegetables are the size you want.
- Add the tomatoes and chop until the tomatoes are the size you want.
- Pico de Gallo: Pour into a bowl and serve.
- Salsa: Pour salsa into a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are cooked through and the salsa is as thick as you want.
- Refrigerate until cold then serve.