Baked Cheese Straws
These Baked Cheese Straws are made using puff pastry. I buy the frozen puff pastry which makes these so easy to make. They are loaded with cheese, twisted and baked. Set them out for company to munch on, serve them with your meal or just eat them as a snack like we are doing.
Source: Pioneer Woman – Ree Drummond
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Lightly roll one sheet of puff pastry into a 10″ x 12″ rectangle.
Brush the melted butter over the top of the puff pastry.
Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and half of the parmesan cheese.
Using a rolling pin, press the cheese into the puff pastry.
Cut the puff pastry into 12 strips.
Hold on to both ends of each piece and twist about 5 times in opposite directions.
Continue twisting until all twelve are twisted.
Place them on the prepared baking sheet and
place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix the egg and water.
Brush egg wash on the cheese straws.
Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they
puff up and are golden brown and serve.
Baked Cheese Straws
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly roll the puff pastry into a 10″ x 12″ rectangle.
- Brush the puff pastry with butter. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese and half of the parmesan cheese on top.
- Using the rolling pin, press the cheese into the puff pastry.
- Cut the puff pastry into 12 strips.
- Holding on to both ends of one strip with both of your hands, twist about 5 times in opposite directions to form the straw. Repeat with the rest of the strips.
- Place all 12 straws onto the prepared pan.
- Place the pan into the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the egg and water with a fork making an egg wash.
- Remove tray from the freezer and brush egg wash on top of each cheese straw.
- Sprinkle the straws with the rest of the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the pastry puffs up and the cheese is golden brown then serve.