Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
This was a simple, fun and delicious way to use my cherry tomatoes, yellow pear tomatoes and fresh basil from our garden. We had these for an afternoon snack but you could also use them for a colorful appetizer. They are filled with a cream cheese, onion and basil filling that tasted great with the tomatoes.
Wash the tomatoes and basil with water then pat dry.
Slice a thin layer off of the top of the cherry tomatoes.
For the yellow pear tomatoes I sliced off the neck, or top
part, so that it was the same shape as the red tomatoes.
Use a baby spoon and scoop out the insides of
the tomatoes. Cut a very thin slice off of the
bottoms so they would sit upright.
In a small bowl add the cream cheese, onion, basil and salt.
Cream together with the back of a spoon.
Fill the tomatoes by whatever method you want.
I used a pastry bag with a star tip but a small hole
in a heavy plastic ziploc bag will work as will a
small spoon. Cover a plate with fresh basil,
add the filled tomatoes and serve.
Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp. dried onion or 1 Tbsp. green onion chopped fine
- 1 tsp. dried basil or 1 Tbsp. fresh basil chopped fine
- pinch of salt or to taste
- fresh basil for the plate, optional
- Wash the tomatoes and basil leaves with cold water then pat dry.
- Slice off a thin layer from the top of the cherry tomatoes. If using yellow pear tomatoes, slice off the neck or top part so they are the same shape as the cherry tomatoes.
- Using a small spoon like a baby spoon, scoop out the inside of every tomato. Cut a very thin slice off of the bottom of every tomato, this will help to keep them upright.
- In a small bowl add the cream cheese, onion, basil and salt. Using the back of a spoon cream the mixture together.
- Fill each tomato using a pastry bag, cut a hole into the corner of a heavy plastic ziploc bag or use a small spoon.
- Lay the basil leaves on a plate and place the filled cherry tomatoes on the plate with them then serve.
Categories: Appetizers, Cheese, Fresh Herbs, My Garden, Snacks/Appetizers, Vegetables/Slaws/Salads
I think you’re trying to get rid of me 😆
Never I wouldn’t have anyone to pick on! 💕
Beautiful and delicious, Diane!!😊👏
Blue Rock Horses Frederick County, Virginia bluerockhorses.com
Thank you Mitzy! It was a nice afternoon snack.
Thank you Katelon. ❤️
What a great way of enjoying cherry tomatoes! It looks almost to pretty to eat 😉.
Thank you so much!
Sure do love August tomatoes, thank you!
Thank you very much for Sharing the stuffed Cherry tomatoes recipe.Easy and also delectable.Take care.😊🙏🌹
Thank you Francis. ❤️
Beautiful and delicious!
Thank you Nancy it is a delicious combination.
What a beautiful dish. I’m sure it tastes as good as it looks.
Awe thank you!
Looks great! I’ve never seen yellow pear tomatoes before. Very best!
Very neat, I mean.
Awe and I thought you were sending well wishes. 🤣
This was the first time I used them with anything other then eating them plain. They taste like a mild cherry tomato and I haven’t grown them in years. I found them at our local herb farm and had to grab a plant. Thank you Ab!
they look beautiful Diana! So time intensive tho no?
I didn’t feel it was time intensive Cindy. Probably because I have the baby spoon to clean the tomatoes out and the pastry bag to fill them. Thank you Cindy! ❤️
Oh well that’s good to know. then maybe I’ll give them a whirl!💖 You’re welcome❣️
How pretty is this appetizer. Thanks for sharing the idea.
Thank you Bernadette and you’re very welcome!
This is so cute!
Thank you Alessandra!
What a pretty-looking appetizer! 💕
Thank you so much Kyra!
Well, very fancy-schmancy Diane. They look not only colorful but are good for you too.
Thanks! It was a delicious combination.
I’ll try these! They look delicious
Enjoy and let me know what you think of them.
very pretty and looks delightful.
Thanks they don’t last very long!
Interesting and looks delicious 😋
Thank you it is a delicious combination of flavor.
I love the shape of the yellow tomatoes. 🤓
Aren’t they cute! I have always enjoyed the yellow ones but it is hard to find the plants. I found them this year at a herb farm tucked away on the side of their greenhouse. I don’t know what possessed me to look there.
Going to try these for sure, I have a bumper crop of cherry tomatoes!
These are one of my favorite ways to eat cherry tomatoes, enjoy!
Looks so tempting!
They are like eating candy but healthier. Lol Thank you!